Shift paw

10 replies to this topic
  • Mr426f

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:26 AM

I will include a pic, but i have a yz426f 2002 im rebuilding got stumped on the shift paw, theres a little dot on the rim of it what postion does it suppose to be in? And is the stopper lever suppose to sit in this groove?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1466097979.576941.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1466097998.755712.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Clockwise from that dot is 1st gear, counter from there is 5th.  Just a reference for assembly purposes, the shift pawl doesn't get timed to it or anything, and there's only one way you can assemble it.  The stopper can sit anywhere it will.  Right now, it's in neutral, as witness the stopper sitting in the "half depth" notch between 1 & 2.

• Mr426f

Posted June 16, 2016 - 10:54 AM

On so that half moon is neutral so when i try to shift through the gears it doesnt pop back to original position

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2016 - 12:36 PM

The only way you could shift it as it is pictured is to grab the end of the shift cam drum with a pair of pliers and turn it while rotating one or other of the trans shafts.  What doesn't pop back into place?

Bumping topics isn't allowed, BTW.

One thing you might be running afoul of is that there is a locating pin on the end of the shift cam that indexes the shift segment (the part the stopper lever runs on).  If you get it assembled without the pin being in place, you'll create a problem for yourself that you don't want.  You won't get gears engaging where the linkage thinks they should and other problems.  Plus, you can push the pin down flush with the cam surface so that it never works again and end up pulling the shift cam out of the trans to fix it.  See picture:

Attached Thumbnails

• camseg.png

• Mr426f

Posted June 16, 2016 - 01:03 PM

Have everything on right with the locating pin but when i assemble the shifter and try to shift through the gears the shifter doesnt pop back
Forst few gears it will but upper it gets stuck?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2016 - 01:57 PM

The shifter shaft is recentered by the centering spring (12).  In order for this to work, the shift shaft must be able to move the shift pawl lever (16) freely back from the shifted position to the centered position.  You need to determine what it is that is hanging it up from doing that.  Since it is only in a certain one or two gears, shift to that position, remove the main shift shaft, and operate the pawls and pawl lever manually.  The pawl lever (16) pivots on the peg extending from the segment retaining bolt (not numbered), and if it hangs up or binds with the shift cam in one position but not others, it leads me to think that the segment is not squarely positioned on the shift cam, despite your statement otherwise.

Attached Thumbnails

• shifter.png

• Mr426f

Posted June 16, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Thanks man, was very helpful, i had a no brainer moment number (14) wasnt installed and once i installed it it played a very important role in the spring back action! I was just seeing if everything was working correctly before i closed everything up but thanks again

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, I saw it was missing, but I didn't think about you trying to work it that way.  Without it the opposing pawl engages the cam segment and tries to shift back to where you were. 

• Mr426f

Posted June 17, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Should i be able to get in 4/5th gear with just shifting through them on work bench?

Edited by Mr426f, June 17, 2016 - 10:45 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2016 - 10:54 AM

Yes, but you will have to spin one of the shafts and perhaps hold the other to get the gears to line up. 

• Mr426f

Posted June 17, 2016 - 11:13 AM

I can get halfway out of 3 but cant get it to fully engage

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.