Photo
- - - - -

2016 YZ450f Acerbis 2.9 gal tank on a FX or WR

41 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 25, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Was it a capacity issue? For the amount of work why not just buy the 2.5g IMS unit. I talked to them recently and their entertaining the idea of doing a screw style gas cap instead of just the drybreak unit...

Because it is god-awful ugly, and a couple tip overs  on sharp rocks, and it's toast....

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 26, 2016 - 04:31 AM

Was it a capacity issue? For the amount of work why not just buy the 2.5g IMS unit. I talked to them recently and their entertaining the idea of doing a screw style gas cap instead of just the drybreak unit...

Capacity issue oh YES. 2.5 gallons will almost get you a ride and when almost just isn't good enough going with 2.9 is the way. All the other bikes are running 3.0 gallon tanks.
When you say amount of work well it was actually very easy. Just take off all the crap from the fender and put it in a different position. No holes were drilled on my installation. Just zip tied everything down including the starter relay. The only thing fabricated was the battery box.
In my opinion Yamaha built a near revolutionary bike along the lines of sliced bread, toilet paper and other great inventions but dropped the bag by not being able to put a decent large tank on the bike. The Acerbis carries all the weight down low in line with the whole concept of the bike.

• chelder

TT Member

77 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 04:46 AM

Hey Steve, you was a FX right? Just trying to put it togeter because i couldn't fit it all under the seat! have you got the latest photos im keen to see the finished product.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 26, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Hey Steve, you was a FX right? Just trying to put it togeter because i couldn't fit it all under the seat! have you got the latest photos im keen to see the finished product.

No mine is a WR and it fit. The only thing one must be very careful of would be those crazy lithium batteries and the starter solenoid switch you don't want those things grounding out and causing a fire.

Pictures are in the earlier posts.

Edited by stevethe, June 26, 2016 - 06:11 AM.

• chelder

TT Member

77 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 06:14 AM

Ah yep i see!! nice job! and did you use the stock WR mudguard?

• chelder

TT Member

77 posts

Posted June 26, 2016 - 06:41 AM

Also did you have any problem of clearance between the harness and frame in the circled area?

harness_zpsewp0aybb.png

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 26, 2016 - 12:09 PM

Also did you have any problem of clearance between the harness and frame in the circled area?

harness_zpsewp0aybb.png

No issues at that spot. However I just noticed my seat at the left middle hook wasn't under the factory frame bracket. The seat hook was hitting the battery bolt so I filed the seat hook a little to fit it in.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 26, 2016 - 01:59 PM

Ah yep i see!! nice job! and did you use the stock WR mudguard?

Yes I used the stock mud guard. I put bolts and nuts to cover the existing holes from the brackets.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 27, 2016 - 12:32 PM

One other thing to mention for the WR and maybe the new 17 fx models. The WR and new FX comes with a low fuel light sensor and when it's unplugged the light doesn't come on. The YZ Acerbis has no provision for a low fuel light. It's a good thing as with the clear tank you can see your fuel level and my low fuel light came on way early and was pretty useless.

Edited by stevethe, June 27, 2016 - 06:50 PM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 01:53 PM

Credit given to T.T. member Childers who is the first to take a Acerbis YZ tank and put it on a 2016 WR450. It can be found here towards the bottom. Hopefully he may chime in at some point as he is busy at work. http://www.thumperta...50f-mods/page-3
Also here http://www.thumperta...16-wr450f-mods/

Which model Acebis tank?

On Acerbis's site they say the 2374220001   is 2.9 gal, but when searching on Google, it is listed as 2.3 gal.....

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 03:28 PM

Which model Acebis tank?

On Acerbis's site they say the 2374220001   is 2.9 gal, but when searching on Google, it is listed as 2.3 gal.....

Good question I bought mine used so I wouldn't know for sure sure. But I believe there is only one larger model Acerbis tank for the YZ?

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 03:32 PM

The 2014-2016 YZ Acerbis tank says 2.9 gallon http://www.acerbis.c...ail.php?idp=919

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 05:00 PM

The 2014-2016 YZ Acerbis tank says 2.9 gallon http://www.acerbis.c...ail.php?idp=919

Exactly

Then why when you go to order one with that model number, it says 2.3 ?  From any vendor?

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hum I hope they didn't lie.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Exactly
Then why when you go to order one with that model number, it says 2.3 ?  From any vendor?

Fixed http://www.motosport...&mmy_source=pdp

Maybe.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 28, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Well there you have it. 2.9 gallions.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 04, 2016 - 05:03 PM

Worked flawless. Took it up in the mountains and went on 50 to 60 mile rides. Looked like it had about a half a tank left. It's nice to be able to see the gas in the tank rather than the black tanks.

• Bryan Rooke

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Ok Steve , you have talked me into it ... I'm not going to buy the Ims tank and instead whack in the clear acerbis 11ltr one.
The bike arrives in two weeks so will get a tank from Italy , I can get the battery tray Made locally.
Does the lithium battery charge ok from the bike? Any thing else I will need?
The bike is a uk model 2016 wr450f , thanks in advance Bryan

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 06, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Ok Steve , you have talked me into it ... I'm not going to buy the Ims tank and instead whack in the clear acerbis 11ltr one.
The bike arrives in two weeks so will get a tank from Italy , I can get the battery tray Made locally.
Does the lithium battery charge ok from the bike? Any thing else I will need?
The bike is a uk model 2016 wr450f , thanks in advance Bryan

The battery works just like the stock one. I've had no issues. Just make sure nothing can ground on the frame. Those batteries have a lot of juice.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 06, 2016 - 06:27 PM

No mine is a WR and it fit. The only thing one must be very careful of would be those crazy lithium batteries and the starter solenoid switch you don't want those things grounding out and causing a fire.

Pictures are in the earlier posts.

What if it's cold outside?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.