Ready to give up on my 06 WR450

15 replies to this topic
  • folger86

Posted June 14, 2016 - 01:19 PM

Here's the quick and dirty:

Crash caused coolant leak while riding, didn't notice, bike overheated, had oil in air box. Replaced radiator, started bike and it started blowing white smoke. replaced head gasket, piston, piston rings, and rebuilt water pump, checked all valves and got them in spec. bike was running great but after 10-15 mins of riding bike would stall at idle. Figured it just needed a carb clean and a new pilot jet. Took bike to work, cruising at 50 bike started sputtering, thought i hit reserve and switched petcock over, bike still died and wont start up again. Also noticed now while in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, bike is hard to push. 

i installed a trail tech stator and reg/rec about a month ago, and a new tusk lithium ion battery about two weeks ago.

i have a new JD jet kit on the way and will replace the vacuum lines when i pull the carb. I have also pulled the fuel line off the carb to test fuel flow from the tank, which was good.

Please help, i never get to ride this bike because im always fixing it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 14, 2016 - 07:02 PM

You are on the right track

The tank petcock filters do get clogged so I would look there first

Gas flow > Float needle >

You need to start putting gas treatment in every tank of gas....

Clutch drag in neutral is normal, unless you have litterally brand new clutch...

• folger86

Posted June 15, 2016 - 05:08 AM

If there is a steady flow coming from my fuel line, I would say my petcock is good, right?

Also what would cause the clutch to drag so hard (so much that my rear tire skids in first gear when clutch is pulled in) when before it was pretty smooth? Maybe something happened with the clutch lever when I wiped out, and I just noticed it now?   Clutch is not new.

What kind of gas treatment is recommended?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 15, 2016 - 05:13 AM

If there is a steady flow coming from my fuel line, I would say my petcock is good, right?

Also what would cause the clutch to drag so hard (so much that my rear tire skids in first gear when clutch is pulled in) when before it was pretty smooth? Maybe something happened with the clutch lever when I wiped out, and I just noticed it now?   Clutch is not new.

What kind of gas treatment is recommended?

Multiple things could have happened, but without looking at the bike it's only a guess

More than likely, it's just out of adjustment at the lever

Pri-g

Torco

Maxima

You need to do a complete once-over of the electrical system, since that is the last thing you touched

A loose ground or rubbing wire/short can give you your symptoms

• folger86

Posted June 20, 2016 - 02:58 AM

I installed the JD kit, and WOW! I was amazed at the difference, tons of power and acceleration that any point of the throttle.

My bike now starts and runs great, however it will stall on idle when the bike is warmed up, and there is some popping on decel. I don't think it's a stator issue because it will start right back up. I've tried adjusting the throttle and fuel screw, but no change. Will going to a 48 pilot jet help? I have the JD 45 in it now.

• Summit

Posted June 20, 2016 - 04:47 AM

"popping on decel"
make sure hot start is functioning properly

• folger86

Posted June 20, 2016 - 04:59 AM

"popping on decel"
make sure hot start is functioning properly

hot start is good

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:20 AM

I installed the JD kit, and WOW! I was amazed at the difference, tons of power and acceleration that any point of the throttle.

My bike now starts and runs great, however it will stall on idle when the bike is warmed up, and there is some popping on decel. I don't think it's a stator issue because it will start right back up. I've tried adjusting the throttle and fuel screw, but no change. Will going to a 48 pilot jet help? I have the JD 45 in it now.

You have an air leak

The carb comes equippped with an ACV valve specifically designed to eliminate decep popping with the stock lean jetting.

Fuel screw oring

hot start plastic nut cracked

carb boots loose

pilot jet passage partially clogged from corrosion/debris

really bad header crush washer seal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • folger86

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:41 AM

You have an air leak

The carb comes equippped with an ACV valve specifically designed to eliminate decep popping with the stock lean jetting.

Fuel screw oring

hot start plastic nut cracked

carb boots loose

pilot jet passage partially clogged from corrosion/debris

really bad header crush washer seal

Just replaced the fuel screw, new o-ring

hot start nut is good

pilot jet passage was cleaned out during the JD jet install.

Does the boot from the carb to the header have a specific direction? Maybe I put that back on backwards, even though all the keyways are aligned.

I will have to check on the header crush washer.

I'm not too concerned about the popping, its not that bad. I just want the stalling at idle to go away. Should I try the 48 pilot jet vice the 45?

• folger86

Posted June 26, 2016 - 06:36 PM

New header washer, carb boots are tightened as much as possible, brand new 48 pilot jet, cleaned pilot passage way again, double checked hot start nut. The bike still stalls on idle after it warms up. Adjusting fuel screw is not helping. I don't know where to go next. Maybe it's running too rich?

One thing I have been noticing, is that when it does die, the kickstart lever is a bit hard to move at first, like its stuck at tdc.

• Borgschulze

Posted June 27, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Idle speed too low?

• folger86

Posted June 27, 2016 - 01:23 PM

Idle speed hasn't fixed it.

• folger86

Posted July 07, 2016 - 07:49 AM

Still getting nowhere... Could this be a problem caused by the bike overheating? maybe something in the engine/head was damaged... I've done a million things to the carb and nothing is changing. (new 45 pilot, new 48 pilot, aluminum hot start nut, new fuel screw o-ring, adjusting fuel screw and idle, cleaned pilot passage several times with cleaner and fishing line). :banghead:

I can ride all day long no problems, but as soon as I stop and idle it dies.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Still getting nowhere... Could this be a problem caused by the bike overheating? maybe something in the engine/head was damaged... I've done a million things to the carb and nothing is changing. (new 45 pilot, new 48 pilot, aluminum hot start nut, new fuel screw o-ring, adjusting fuel screw and idle, cleaned pilot passage several times with cleaner and fishing line). :banghead:

I can ride all day long no problems, but as soon as I stop and idle it dies.

Idle is the pilot circuit, which includes the ACV

You have inspected and done the stator test as outlined in the oem service manual?

Cleaned the stator harness plug and all ground connections?

• folger86

Posted September 06, 2016 - 03:06 AM

:ride: I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!! :ride:  what a nightmare its been trying to get this bike running right again. from switching stators, reg/recs, 100 carb cleans and 1000 different jet configuration, and on and on. 

it was a bad ignition coil...

My bike is back and stronger than ever, I almost forgot how much this thing rips!

• Bitteeinbit

Posted September 06, 2016 - 08:14 AM

I had the same problem a while back... Only mine wouldn't start at all.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.