Kickstarter Noise

Yamaha WR400F 1999

7 replies to this topic
  • JohnClaude

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:39 PM

Hi Guys,

I've got some more noob questions for ya. My kickstarter is making a strange sound when I accelerate/rev the bike-it sounds like the kickstarter teeth and the shaft teeth aren't meshing possibly. It helps if I push down (clockwise) on the knurled horizontal part of the lever while revving the engine. I've attached some pictures, does anyone notice anything amiss? Thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_1228_zpsin9lqsaj.jpg

IMG_1229_zps1umwf9dr.jpg

IMG_1230_zpsascqn8yf.jpg

IMG_1233_zpsk3lo1ikz.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 12, 2016 - 05:16 PM

The problem is inside

You should also fix the massive leak you have at the pipe junction..........

• JohnClaude

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the reply, Krannie. You read my mind- my next question was going to be "how do I fix this massive leak that I have at the pipe junction"! Should I just remove and inspect the kick axle assembly and kick idle gear per the manual? Any suggestions on how to get rid of that pesky exhaust leak that I definitely didn't just notice?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the reply, Krannie. You read my mind- my next question was going to be "how do I fix this massive leak that I have at the pipe junction"! Should I just remove and inspect the kick axle assembly and kick idle gear per the manual? Any suggestions on how to get rid of that pesky exhaust leak that I definitely didn't just notice?

It looks like you have a YZ slip-on muffler attached to the stock WR header, which is a different size, hench the 'spacer'.

No way to know what is wrong with the kickstarter until you open it up and look.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JohnClaude

Posted June 12, 2016 - 07:04 PM

The exhaust is a White Brothers E-Series that is obnoxiously loud...upon closer examination you're right there is a poorly made spacer there. Yikes. The wonders of 'previous owner' fixes never cease to amaze. I'll pull out the kickstarter mechanism in the next couple days and check everything out and report back. Thanks again Krannie.

• JohnClaude

Posted June 25, 2016 - 12:32 PM

UPDATE: Well I figured out the source of my problem. The kickstart stopper had split, and in the process took out a chunk of the case. I replaced the stopper, but am unsure what to do about the case. I've attached some pictures below. Any suggestions/comments are welcome. I'm hoping to get by without doing anything, but I don't like the look of things. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_1246_zps4f4usxek.jpg

IMG_1245_zpsqvbfdotm.jpg

IMG_1248_zps5iewmgbd.jpg

• toten

Posted June 27, 2016 - 05:48 AM

If it seems to still work with a new stopper, I wouldn't do anything to the case (other than flush oil/filter a few times thanks to all the crap that must be in it). 

• JohnClaude

Posted June 27, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the response, toten. I was able to get most of the aluminum that broke off (it was caught behind the stopper, luckily). I'll definitely flush it a few times though. I put some JB Weld to build it back up slightly, more for peace of mind than anything.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Yamaha by Tobyperkins17

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 WR400F-Good Deal? by JohnClaude

• 11 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR400F 1999 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR400F 1999
  • * * * * -
  • 16 reviews
  • Last review by SprytnySpawacz
  • On August 25, 2016
Forums
Photo

YZ/WR400 Camshaft Cap Interchangeable? by JohnClaude

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.