2013 YZ450F at high altitude

11 replies to this topic
  • Mt92

Posted June 11, 2016 - 05:15 PM

I am getting ready to go trail riding in Colorado at 700-10000 ft elevation. My bike has a vertex ignition on it and I was curious if it would auto adjust for the thin air? I have the stock ignition also if that would be better.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 11, 2016 - 07:18 PM

You mean Vortex

• Pre Programmed with 10 Performance Fuel & Ignition maps - all the work is done for you!
  • Instant Plug in Performance (replaces standard ECU with no mods to wiring required)
  • Fuel Trim Switches adjust fuel mapping by +12.5% to -10% in Lo , Mid and Hi throttle bands
  • Adjustments require only a screwdriver and integrated switches provide visual feedback.

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:34 AM

The OEM system adjusts for altitude.  The barometric pressure sensor on the YZ system (not present on some others) can actually trim the fuel on the fly.  Other bikes make an adjustment for it. but without the baro sensor, they can only take a reading during start up using the manifold air pressure sensor. 

• moonbeam1719

Posted June 12, 2016 - 09:44 AM

Anyone out there have a gytr tuner map for high elevation? Yamaha has maps for different track surfaces but nothing for ambient /altitude. I'm looking for a base map for 6-7000ft and 0*C/32 f...2016 450f.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2016 - 06:37 AM

The ECU compensates any and all maps for altitude. 

• Mt92

Posted June 13, 2016 - 06:44 AM

So maybe it would be best to go back to the stock box for the trip. This is a ex Paul Whibley bike and I am not sure what all was changed. I need to look for the barometric pressure sensor and make sure it is still there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2016 - 08:26 AM

The Vortex should retain all the functionality of the original system, probably except for being adjustable by the GYT-R tuner, and having switchable maps.  The Baro sensor is on the TB with the MAP (manifold air pressure) last I saw one.

• moonbeam1719

Posted June 13, 2016 - 10:21 AM

Ok thanks gray racer. ..was just wondering if anyone has built a map that they have had luck with at elevation.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2016 - 12:05 PM

...Which someone may have done.  :thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 14, 2016 - 10:36 AM

As I understand it, the ECU will reset it's 'base line' (middle point?) for the map you are on, one the bike has gotten up to temp, restarted  with zero throttle movement, for 3 minutes.

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2016 - 01:36 PM

As I understand it, the ECU will reset it's 'base line' (middle point?) for the map you are on, one the bike has gotten up to temp, restarted  with zero throttle movement, for 3 minutes.

That applies to the Honda system, which has no discreet baro sensor, and uses info from the MAP as described to perform the calculation.  (a "better" idea?)  The Yamaha set up has a discreet sensor for barometric pressure separate from the MAP sensor, and so is not limited in that way.  It uses real-time baro info to adjust the base map for altitude.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 14, 2016 - 01:48 PM

That applies to the Honda system, which has no discreet baro sensor, and uses info from the MAP as described to perform the calculation.  (a "better" idea?)  The Yamaha set up has a discreet sensor for barometric pressure separate from the MAP sensor, and so is not limited in that way.  It uses real-time baro info to adjust the base map for altitude.

Love the info!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.