Wr450f wobbles at higher speeds

25 replies to this topic
  • Pancho_Jsy

Posted June 16, 2016 - 01:09 AM

I haven't used a steering damper on a dirt bike but on road bikes they can be very intrusive at low speed. It feels like you're turning the wheel in deep mud. At higher speed they aren't noticeable except for the reduction in headshake.

If you search the forums for 'Scotts Steering Damper' you should turn up plenty of reviews. Personally I'd spend that money on a set of 17'' wheels with sticky rubber to make the most of your 100% tarmac days. These bikes make fantastic supermotos and swapping between the two setups takes minutes.

• Turtlerider

Posted June 16, 2016 - 09:44 PM

I haven't used a steering damper on a dirt bike but on road bikes they can be very intrusive at low speed. It feels like you're turning the wheel in deep mud. At higher speed they aren't noticeable except for the reduction in headshake.

If you search the forums for 'Scotts Steering Damper' you should turn up plenty of reviews. Personally I'd spend that money on a set of 17'' wheels with sticky rubber to make the most of your 100% tarmac days. These bikes make fantastic supermotos and swapping between the two setups takes minutes.

Interesting how it can be intrusive . I've heard a lot of people say they wont ride trail without one! Im going to look into it more though. And even though thats on my list of thing for the bike, the warp 9s with some stickies is next to take my money. And interestingly enough, i stiffened the front forks and rear shock using just the flathead adjustment clickers some clicks and did 90 today and it was smooth... But i appreciate the opinion. Thats the plan for soon hopefully. And im going to put off on the steering dampener for now and look into it more.

• DangerRanger245

Posted June 20, 2016 - 08:11 PM

When my WR was still on stock springs, it did that. When I got it resprung for my fat ass, with proper sag, it became much more stable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Turtlerider

Posted June 20, 2016 - 08:35 PM

When my WR was still on stock springs, it did that. When I got it resprung for my fat ass, with proper sag, it became much more stable.

Sounds about right, i think its suspension. I need to set the proper sag for me . I messed with the suspension some it became a lot more stable, not the smoothest but at least stable now. Appreciate it man

• Nathh

Posted June 21, 2016 - 07:57 PM

Just an idea but maybe it's worth checking your wheel bearings.

When these start to go they can cause a lot of wobble which is more noticeable at high speeds.

Try moving the back and front wheels side to side and see if there's any movement in the wheel.

• Turtlerider

Posted June 21, 2016 - 08:54 PM

Just an idea but maybe it's worth checking your wheel bearings.
When these start to go they can cause a lot of wobble which is more noticeable at high speeds.

Try moving the back and front wheels side to side and see if there's any movement in the wheel.

Will look at that, that would suck if it went out on me at highway speeds.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.