Wr450f wobbles at higher speeds

25 replies to this topic
  • Turtlerider

Posted June 11, 2016 - 04:03 PM

My 2014 wr450f, that is street legal, wobbles at higher speeds of around 70-80mph and i was wondering if something like a scotts steering stabilizer will get rid of this? Any input is appreciated

• zuch95701

Posted June 12, 2016 - 12:22 PM

Have you balanced your front and rear tires? 

• Turtlerider

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Have you balanced your front and rear tires?

Yes, when they were new. Think it being work down some would change the balance enough to cause this?

• mlatour

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:13 PM

Not enough rear sag and fork tubes clamped too high in the triple clamps will cause headshake.

If your wheels still have rimlocks I'd imagine they are next to impossible to truly balance.

• Turtlerider

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:21 PM

Not enough rear sag and fork tubes clamped too high in the triple clamps will cause headshake.

If your wheels still have rimlocks I'd imagine they are next to impossible to truly balance.

If anything i may have too much rear sag and the forks are all the way down in the clamps lmao
The rim lock is not in the tire either.. I wonder if my wheels just need balancing again..

• mlatour

Posted June 12, 2016 - 03:27 PM

Are you using DOT tires?

Did it always wobble or did this just start recently?

Edited by mlatour, June 12, 2016 - 03:27 PM.

• Turtlerider

Posted June 12, 2016 - 05:41 PM

Are you using DOT tires?
Did it always wobble or did this just start recently?

Yes they are dot tires and they were balanced when first put on. And i had never gotten it up to 80 since i got it, until recently.

• mlatour

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:23 PM

As someone suggested in your other similar tread,

the WR was initialy designed as an off-road bike so perhaps it's just part of it's 'normal' caracteristics,

rake / trail / anti-squat angles* aren't oriented for high speeds stability but better turning.

You could also tighten the steering stem bearings preload nut for a bit of added stability.

*geometries is a better term

Edited by mlatour, June 12, 2016 - 08:49 PM.

• Flagstaff

Posted June 12, 2016 - 08:36 PM

the WR was initialy designed as an off-road bike so perhaps it's just part of it's 'normal' caracteristics,

rake / trail / anti-squat angles aren't oriented for high speeds stability but better turning.

You could also tighten the steering stem bearings preload nut for a bit of added stability.

Bingo!  :thumbsup:

Except perhaps the steering stem part.

• falconjet

Posted June 13, 2016 - 06:43 AM

Have you tried slowing down?

Instead of 80 how about a sedate 60 or so.

My 07 is plated and has stock gearing. 

I don't ride it on the road much but have had it up to 70 or so and yes it is a bit twitchy at those speeds.

Remember it is a dirt bike first and foremost. 

If ya wants to go fast on the road.... pull the street bike out of the barn instead.

There that was simple and way cheaper than a steering damper.

Edited by falconjet, June 13, 2016 - 08:11 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aaron675

Posted June 13, 2016 - 07:30 PM

Maybe get a steering damper if it's not a tyer or suspension issue I've put a scots unit on my bike it made a huge difference

• Turtlerider

Posted June 13, 2016 - 08:42 PM

Maybe get a steering damper if it's not a tyer or suspension issue I've put a scots unit on my bike it made a huge difference

Yeah im going to do a once over and check suspension and rebalance the tires and if its still doing it im going to buy the scotts asap as its already on my list of thing for the bike.

• Turtlerider

Posted June 13, 2016 - 08:46 PM

rake / trail / anti-squat angles* aren't oriented for high speeds stability but better turning.

*geometries is a better term

Bingo! :thumbsup:

Except perhaps the steering stem part.

Makes sense guys, much appreciated. Reason im asking is because there are some people that do 110 and say its stable ! Since i got the bike and did 80 or so mph i always thought that was normal for a dirt bike but heard different things from other people so i decided to jump on here and get some opinions. But i appreciate your guys' input.

• Flagstaff

Posted June 13, 2016 - 09:17 PM

Makes sense guys, much appreciated. Reason im asking is because there are some people that do 110 and say its stable ! Since i got the bike and did 80 or so mph i always thought that was normal for a dirt bike but heard different things from other people so i decided to jump on here and get some opinions. But i appreciate your guys' input.

If they're doing 110 on a WR I want some of what they're doing because that's a hell of a lot better than anything I've done in 57 years. 

• stevethe

Posted June 13, 2016 - 10:04 PM

110 on a stock WR450. Right.

• patrick2wd

Posted June 14, 2016 - 03:46 AM

not compareable... I had a RXV some years ago.. did 180 (KM/h)  no sweat...

however, I sat at the rear end of the seat..

tried that?

• Turtlerider

Posted June 14, 2016 - 06:54 AM

If they're doing 110 on a WR I want some of what they're doing because that's a hell of a lot better than anything I've done in 57 years.

He had a 40 tooth sprocket on his bike, anlong with gyter ecu and tuned, gytr exhaust, along with the shorter throttle stop screw. And he TOLD me 110, so theres no telling if its true or not.

Edited by Turtlerider, June 14, 2016 - 07:15 AM.

• Turtlerider

Posted June 14, 2016 - 06:59 AM

not compareable... I had a RXV some years ago.. did 180 (KM/h) no sweat...

however, I sat at the rear end of the seat..
tried that?

Have not.. Will try that though, thanks.

• Pancho_Jsy

Posted June 15, 2016 - 12:40 AM

I run an '07 with a 44T rear sprocket, otherwise stock (uncorked). At 80+ on the knobblies it's pretty twitchy and wobbly. Switch to 17" wheels and it's much better but still there. Switch to a 19" rear and it's really bad!

It's already been said but these bikes have quite aggressive steering geometry suited motocross initially, then adapted for the enduro market. They were never designed to ride at high speed for extended periods.

You can fit a steering damper if you like but bear in mind they can feel a bit weird at low speed. What kind of riding are you doing most?

• Turtlerider

Posted June 15, 2016 - 06:45 AM

I run an '07 with a 44T rear sprocket, otherwise stock (uncorked). At 80+ on the knobblies it's pretty twitchy and wobbly. Switch to 17" wheels and it's much better but still there. Switch to a 19" rear and it's really bad!

It's already been said but these bikes have quite aggressive steering geometry suited motocross initially, then adapted for the enduro market. They were never designed to ride at high speed for extended periods.

You can fit a steering damper if you like but bear in mind they can feel a bit weird at low speed. What kind of riding are you doing most?

Well, pretty much half and half. Ride out to nearby trails and spend all day on them and some days we just ride on the road. How would the steering damper feel? Ive heard of a lot of people put them on trail bikes .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.