Help with spark plug removal

8 replies to this topic
  • mxcowboy

Posted March 13, 2004 - 07:59 PM

I have a friends 1995 XR600 in the garage doing a tune-up on it and can't find a spark plug socket to work. I bought a 18mm spark plug socket but it won't slide down over it.
Do i need a special thin wall spark plug wrench and if so where do I get it?

• InChanWeTrust

Posted March 14, 2004 - 04:45 AM

Even though I have an 01 XR650R, I just went through the same headache. First the hole is in such a bad place, it's had to get the socket to fit in there. I had some starting issues and got new plugs. Only thing was parts gut cross referenced part numbers with adifferent plug. Outcome was new plug was 18mm, while old plug was standard 5/8". I ground down a socket to fit the new plug only to realize it was too big. I don't need the 18mm. If you want, I'll send it to you. Not sure if this will help you, but it's a good chance. Let me know.
Chan

• Dirt4me

Posted March 15, 2004 - 11:06 AM

That must be why they (Honda) give you a tool for that purpose when you buy the bike. :)

• TimBrp

Posted March 15, 2004 - 11:21 AM

no plug wrench will work. You must either sand down the 18mm or use some Wd-40 and shove it in there :).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drex

Posted March 15, 2004 - 01:48 PM

Hmmmmm . . . I bought a spark plug socket -- the swivel type -- at my local autozone and it works great! I don't remember the size -- I took a spare plug in when I bought the socket. With the swivel I don't have to take the tank off. I bought my brp used without the Honda-supplied wrench.

• jws

Posted March 15, 2004 - 05:31 PM

no plug wrench will work. You must either sand down the 18mm or use some Wd-40 and shove it in there :).

when i had my xr600 - i had the same problem (couldnt find a socket to work) so i went to the local honda dealer and bought the one that came with the bike new - for around $5

jeff :D

• mxcowboy

Posted March 15, 2004 - 06:32 PM

I went to Honda and purchased the wrench.
Thanks for all the help..

• TimBrp

Posted March 16, 2004 - 02:58 AM

My Bad guys...They must've made one especially for an xr600 and 250. I just forced the 18mm in there.. :)

• xrwheelyman

Posted March 16, 2004 - 05:34 AM

I have a friends 1995 XR600 in the garage doing a tune-up on it and can't find a spark plug socket to work. I bought a 18mm spark plug socket but it won't slide down over it.
Do i need a special thin wall spark plug wrench and if so where do I get it?

Motion Pro makes a great plug wrench. I have one for my XR600 and my DRZ400E. The Suzuki plug takes and extention for it and it comes with the socket. Give them a try.
Randy

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.