Anyone using an FX for MX?

11 replies to this topic
  • myoung

Posted June 09, 2016 - 10:47 AM

So, it's been a while since I've posted on anything here. Went back to lurker status, but now I need some opinions.

I was holding out for the '17' YZ's as the rumors of e-start were really loud this year, but now they've been revealed and as I suspected, it didn't happen. So now I have to either see if the FX would be a good fit for MX, or if I may have to abandon decades of being a loyal Yamaha rider and look at a Husky or KTM.

Unfortunately, I had a crash at Glen Helen last year and destroyed my right ankle almost to the point of requiring amputation. I'm still recovering and I'm not sure how much ability I'll get back down the road, but at this point I don't see kicking a bike going well. Especially the cold blooded pig of a 2012 I currently have. I want to move over to a magic button so I can keep on racing, but I really would like to stay on a Yamaha. 

First off, how many of you have picked up one of the '16 YZ450FX's and what are you using it for?

For those that use it for hitting the tracks;

How does that extra 15 pounds feel?

Have you done anything to shave weight?

Did you stay with the 18" wheel?

How do you like the WR trans on the track?

How much work have you done to the suspension?

Are the engine internals (cams, compression, tuning, etc.) the same as YZ, or tuned down for off-road?

Do any of the YZ maps work well, or do you have to come up with FX specific ones?

Is there any smog related or other dead weight parts like the WR's have?

I figure the weight thing can be shaved some, but I'm curious what kind of numbers people are seeing that might be trying. I can see a kickstand that can be tossed. I read somewhere on the '16's there was a trail computer that could be tossed, is that true? I'm sure one of those super light batteries could shave a pound or so, and a 19" rear would lose a little rubber.

Anything else that can be done besides thousands of dollars in Titanum?

Anyone done any of this?

• keeseckb

Posted June 09, 2016 - 12:58 PM

I have the YZ450FX and have ridden a 15 YZ450F and it doesn't feel much heavier on the track. I don't race moto but have in the past and do practice days sometimes. The WR gearbox works really good on a small tight track because you can use 3rd the whole way around with very little clutching. I haven't ridden it on a big wide open track but I can imagine the wider ratio between 3rd and 4th might leave you wanting something in between. But really would just depend on riding style and type of track. 

The motor is identical to the YZ as far as the top end. Only difference is a mellower ECU which could be programmed more aggressive like the YZ (most YZ owner mellow theirs out though). It rips just like the YZ but feels smoother. 

The suspension would really depend on your weight and speed. Its really good and isn't too far off from the YZ, mostly just plusher valving but still has good bottoming resistance. The front spring is light so you could bump that up and with some clicker adjustments would probably be in the ball park as long as you're not really heavy or A class / pro level speed. 

If you went to a titanium exhaust, lighter battery, dropped the kickstand and kick starter you would save a bit of weight and the few extra pounds over the YZ would really be eliminated mentally with that magic button. I don't think I'll ever own a four stroke that doesn't have electric start. It's just so sweet. 

So I guess it really just depends on what type and level of moto racer you are?  

Motocross Action had a good write up on the YZ450FX and they are a pure motocross perspective. 

• tzracer46

Posted June 09, 2016 - 07:16 PM

I moto mine almost every weekend. I went to it from an 09 450f. The weight seems to be pretty much a non factor for me as a 47 year old C rider. I did go to the 19" rear just because of tire availability with track vendors. I switched to the tusk battery and an FMF ti carbon slip on and took the kick stand off to save some of the weight. I also added a reckluse as a previous injury makes clutch use difficult for me. The biggest thing the bike needed was a revalve after adding the correct springs. The valving was way too stiff at the top of the stroke with the correct springs for moto for my weight. Since the revalve with racetech internals its much nicer to ride and my confidence gets higher each time I ride it.

• myoung

Posted June 10, 2016 - 10:00 AM

Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. :thumbsup:

I have been reading as many reviews and articles as I can and had read that MXA one. They don't go as deep into their review as they would have a motocross specific bike. None of the usual gearing, suspension or tuning change suggestions. Kind of left me with more questions than answers, that's why I figured it would be best to get some real world opinions here at TT. It is a little concerning that MXA's advice leaned toward not using the FX for MX.

If I were to go this route, I already know the suspension will be going over to my suspension guy for some springs and a revalve before I ever ride it. I'm a bit of a fatty now, but I was a pretty decent rider before my injury. I'll definitely need to stiffen up the suspension. I just wanted to make sure the revalve would just be the usual shim stacks and not rebuilding anything with all new internals.

I'm kind of putting a plan together to crunch the numbers. I would be replacing or losing some things that would shave weight, but others may put a little back on. I have some Hinson clutch parts I got for my '12 that will work on the FX. My clutch basket is the steel one and will add a little, but the aluminum hub might shave a hair. I would run the RG3 clamps on the FX like I do all my bikes, they're usually a touch heavier than OE clamps. The Supersprox sprockets I run are a little heavier too. With that weight added, I would be able to shave some by losing the kickstand, putting my race wheels on(19" rear, but billet hubs, might be a wash), going to a light battery, TMD plastic chain guide, Cycra plastics, and probably suck it up and shell out the big bucks for a TI exhaust. I'd keep the kick starter......just in case.

Not sure where the crossover would land between adding and shaving weight after all that, but if I could lose anywhere between 5 to 10 pounds, I think I could make it work. :thinking:

• myoung

Posted June 10, 2016 - 10:11 AM

I moto mine almost every weekend. I went to it from an 09 450f. The weight seems to be pretty much a non factor for me as a 47 year old C rider. I did go to the 19" rear just because of tire availability with track vendors. I switched to the tusk battery and an FMF ti carbon slip on and took the kick stand off to save some of the weight. I also added a reckluse as a previous injury makes clutch use difficult for me. The biggest thing the bike needed was a revalve after adding the correct springs. The valving was way too stiff at the top of the stroke with the correct springs for moto for my weight. Since the revalve with racetech internals its much nicer to ride and my confidence gets higher each time I ride it.

Are you still running the stock gearing?

How does the WR trans work for you?

I still have my '09 actually. It was probably the easiest starting four stroke I've ever owned. I may be able to put off this whole deal if I can kick that one. Still have more recovery to do before I can try, though, so not holding my breath.

In the end, that would be taking a step back in bike technology. I'll probably still go e-start even if I can kick the '09. I'm 49 and I'll be going to the 50 class next year. A lot of those guys are rolling with a magic button now, time to join the fun. :ride:

Edited by myoung, June 10, 2016 - 10:14 AM.

• Not sponsored

Posted June 10, 2016 - 04:19 PM

Glen Hellen or any hard packed track it would probably do just fine, I can tell you at Southwick you can feel the weight, probably as much to do with the w/r trans as anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz426rdr

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:18 AM

Rear axle is smaller on the FX than the 450F, same hub as the 2 strokes. Works for me as my other bike is a YZ250 2 stroke.

I've raced mine, the electric start is awesome!!! I have ordered stiffer springs for my weight, has a tendency to wallow a bit on hard landings. I haven't rode a close ratio tranny 450 for a long time but the wide ratio doesn't bother me, bike has so much power it can pull the higher 4th and 5th easily. In fact I have the hardpack mapping in it just to mellow it out a bit.

• PETE24

Posted June 21, 2016 - 06:46 PM

first off i am a die hard yamaha guy

but last year i bought a 15 husky 450 fc

hated it

stalled that bike more than any bike ive ever rode

when you stall a e start bike mid moto it dont start any easier than a kickstart bike

the suspension was another story

got it done by FC

sent the fork back two more times

i coulda lived with the fork if i could keep the dam thing running

pulled out my 08 crf 450 that i will never sell

it was a LOT better than that dam husky

bought a 16 yz 250 two stroke

love it

last week i rode a 16 husky 450 done my FC, unimpressed

a 16 husky 450 with air fork done by FC, a little better

a bone stock 16 yz450, probably better than my 08 honda, and i think i mite need one

moral of the story?

if your a jap bike guy buy a jap bike euro bikes are weird, you can make the FX what you want , and its a yamaha so it will last forever and have some decent resale

• mxrider4life847

Posted August 06, 2016 - 06:16 AM

Sadly (not really), the majority of my FX riding has been at my local MX tracks. Generally they are all prepped nicely and one particular track, has Friday night under the lights practice and I've managed to make it out there 4 weeks in a row.

I've mostly been going out to do bike setup, and really get used to how it handles in the corners. Plus, our cross country series' are all on break right now for summer.

This bike is a blast at the mx track and I wouldn't hesitate ever taking it. It doesn't feel heavy at all. And does very well in corners. I've deff cut my lap times with it.

• yz426rdr

Posted August 07, 2016 - 07:28 AM

I've use mine on the track almost exclusively. I had to put stiffer springs in it as I weigh 230 lbs. was going to revalve it as well but honestly do not see the need as I've found the stock suspension is just that good. In terms of weight, only time I notice it is when I pick it up to put it on a stand lol!!! I love the look guys give me on the line when I punch the start button and they look over as to see what bike I'm riding!!! I bought it as an all around bike and love it. I'm sure there is some difference between it and the 450F while riding in feel so I'm just going to not try one so I don't know any better!!!

• mxrider4life847

Posted August 08, 2016 - 04:13 PM

I've use mine on the track almost exclusively. I had to put stiffer springs in it as I weigh 230 lbs. was going to revalve it as well but honestly do not see the need as I've found the stock suspension is just that good. In terms of weight, only time I notice it is when I pick it up to put it on a stand lol!!! I love the look guys give me on the line when I punch the start button and they look over as to see what bike I'm riding!!! I bought it as an all around bike and love it. I'm sure there is some difference between it and the 450F while riding in feel so I'm just going to not try one so I don't know any better!!!

I get the same looks and questions when I hit the start button. Generally it happens right as I put my helmet on. I just grin. A few of my buddies shake their heads most of the time as well. It's my first elec start so, I'm gonna abuse it. Although, I do kick it from time to time, just to make them feel better. It is heavy trying to put it up on a stand, and load it up into a tall truck after 30 laps. So, I use my trailer a lot more, and my lift stand! This thing is making me lazy.

• myoung

Posted September 02, 2016 - 12:55 PM

This all sounds promising. I did find out there is a guy in the club I race with that has one, but he doesn't come out very often. I'm not cleared to ride yet so I'm not in a hurry, but when I'm ready I'll see about spinning some laps on his bike. I think my next bike may very well end up being a 450FX. :thinking:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.