2012 yz 450f lowering

2 replies to this topic
  • Magnuss44

Posted June 08, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Im 5'5'' and weigh 140lbs. Hopefully hitting a growth spurt soon...but 23 years old so I'm not staking my life on it :goofy:

Anyways just picked up a 2012 450f that is completely set up for desert riding. 

All I want is to make it lower. I just rode my uncles 2006 450f which felt like the perfect height. I climbed anything on it. According to online specs the 2006 has the same stock seat height as the 2012 which means my uncles must have been lowered quite a bit. The major things I know to do for lowering my bike to feel more comfortable is to get a lowering link (probably 1.5'') and raise the triple clamps. 

Is there anything else really major I am missing? Suggestions. 

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nathh

Posted June 10, 2016 - 12:14 AM

Getting the suspension professionally lowered is the best way to go as it doesn't effect the geometry of the bike.

Lowering links and moving the forks up in the triple clamps will change the geometry and make the bike feel different.

Also lowering links change the leverage of the shock which can change the stiffness.

Some people also shave some foam out of the seat, this makes it easier to reach the ground and doesn't effect ground clearance or 

the geometry of the bike. However this can often leave the seat uncomfortable.

You're probably going to have to get softer springs front and rear anyway because of your weight so might as well get it lowered professionally when you do that.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Lowering the fork by sliding them up in the clamps will only change the steering geometry if the rear is not lowered by a like amount.  There are only two downsides to lowering the front that way: 1) it's limited to about a half inch total by the length of the clamping area on the fork tube, and 2) if you lower too far without reducing the fork travel, your front wheel will start hitting the fender.

Links for the rear alter the rate at which the shock compresses compared to wheel travel, altering the action of the shock.  Here again, you go too far, you hit the fender.  Professional internal mods are the best way to work it if you need any more than a 15mm drop or so. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.