Constant throttle

9 replies to this topic
  • Hypheriox

Posted June 08, 2016 - 01:53 PM

Okay so I have a 2003 wr450. It idles very smooth I just cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor but for some reason if I am driving down the street and I hold the throttle in one spot it gets very jerky. What I mean by that is it almost acts like it loses power and then gained it back. In a sense I cannot stay at a constant RPM without it being jerky

• AKmud

Posted June 08, 2016 - 02:39 PM

Check your TPS. Voltage should be around .76vdc. Mine smoothed out significantly when I got the TPS set correctly.  My issue was finally cured when I got rid of the cheap plastic nut on the hot start and replaced it with an aluminum nut from ZipTy racing. http://www.ziptyraci.../hot-start-nut/

Edited by AKmud, June 08, 2016 - 02:41 PM.

• Borgschulze

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:09 PM

I deleted the ACV on my carb and it fixed it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:17 PM

Known issue.

Unplug the TPS to eliminate it, but loose your map transitions.

Calibrate your TPS to a higher resistance, like .8 to 'move' it .

Install a Dynatek ignition to get your mapping back, and eliminate the studder.

• Hypheriox

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:18 PM

ok im a bit new to all of this so how would I calibrate the tps?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • subxero

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:37 PM

when i read the thread title i thought you were trying to adopt the Ronnie Mac style of racing. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:46 PM

ok im a bit new to all of this so how would I calibrate the tps?

Download the serivce manual from Yamaha's site and follow the TPS calibration instructions, but go to a higher resistance.

You can try mutlipe resistances to find out what you like the best.

• Hypheriox

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:47 PM

Ok I have the actual manual so i will look into it

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted June 09, 2016 - 09:28 AM

Get used to it. BTDT.

• NovaKid15

Posted June 13, 2016 - 09:54 AM

I just had a similar problem with my wr250f at about 1/4 throttle it would start to almost miss or hesitate. I then took the carb apart cleaned it, tested ignition coil, changed spark plug, disconnected the TPS, checked valves and nothing helped. Eventually I took it to a shop and they put a new AIS removal kit on it, changed the jetting and the miss/ hesitation is gone. They also found that my needle was slightly bent and had been rubbing which may have been the problem.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.