2017 WR450F

30 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 08, 2016 - 10:06 AM

For 2017, there is nothing earth shattering coming from Big Blue, just some minor and medium sized changes, primarily focused on the 250 four-strokes. The YZ250F and YZ250FX see a new cylinder head and intake system, transmission changes, some minor chassis changes, and suspension valving changes to match. The YZ450 only gets four minor changes: a new air box cover, new rear brake disk material, new Dunlop MX3S tires, and new graphics. The WR250 and 450 are the same as last year’s models except for black rims and the new air filter cover. The two-stroke motocross models are still available and the YZ125 and YZ250 both get 270mm front brake rotors (up from 250mm).

• Summit

Posted June 08, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Cool. What about the 450fx ?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 08, 2016 - 10:34 AM

http://www.dirtrider...?src=SOC&dom=fb

• Super_Davee

Posted June 08, 2016 - 01:16 PM

I wonder what is different about the airbox cover, and if it can be fitted to a 2016.

• RockerYZWR

Posted June 08, 2016 - 03:55 PM

450FX gets black wheels - super cool. But they removed the kick starter? Hmmm, not sure I'm on board with that idea. What did they save? 2 lbs? I evidently have trust issues with the e-start....not unfounded, though - I had a loose connection recently at the clutch switch while out in the woods that made for a suddenly dead button, but it still kicked over fine. Not on board with no kick start...but I'll probably still buy one anyway.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:15 PM

450FX gets black wheels - super cool. But they removed the kick starter? Hmmm, not sure I'm on board with that idea. What did they save? 2 lbs? I evidently have trust issues with the e-start....not unfounded, though - I had a loose connection recently at the clutch switch while out in the woods that made for a suddenly dead button, but it still kicked over fine. Not on board with no kick start...but I'll probably still buy one anyway.

It's removed via an already available kit.....not permanently....

• RockerYZWR

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:18 PM

It's removed via an already available kit.....not permanently....

Oh. Well then.
Good.

• RMK800

Posted June 08, 2016 - 07:13 PM

I can live with the few changes, I've already took off that kick starter. I would have really liked those black rims and the low level fuel indicator on my FX.

• stevethe

Posted June 08, 2016 - 07:19 PM

I can live with the few changes, I've already took off that kick starter. I would have really liked those black rims and the low level fuel indicator on my FX.

New black rims are good for a year or two. Then you wish they were silver.
The low fuel light is somewhat of a hindrance on the WR because I think it comes on too early. Especially if you go up hills.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 08, 2016 - 07:25 PM

New black rims are good for a nice desert trip, or two. Then you wish they were silver.......

fixed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vossman23

Posted June 09, 2016 - 09:11 AM

What are the engine warning lights? Overheat possibly?

• 2Speed

Posted June 13, 2016 - 09:48 AM

New black rims are good for a year or two. Then you wish they were silver.
The low fuel light is somewhat of a hindrance on the WR because I think it comes on too early. Especially if you go up hills.

I thought I would like the black rims more, but after seeing it I think I prefer the silver.

The low fuel light really does come on too soon. Mine seems to come on at, or just below half a tank.  Ideally it should come on with 25 - 30 miles left in reserve. 

• RockerYZWR

Posted June 13, 2016 - 09:25 PM

Can it be modified at all to indicate later?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Can it be modified at all to indicate later?

It's a float system, so it would not be easy to modify...

• RockerYZWR

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:20 AM

It's a float system, so it would not be easy to modify...

Challenge accepted.
Wait, I don't own that bike yet. Crap.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:42 AM

Challenge accepted.
Wait, I don't own that bike yet. Crap.

I'm thinking of forgoing the WR in favor of the FX, and getting it plated in South Dakota (no inspection, done by mail)...then adding a Headlight and tailight with brakelight (lic plate holder), and that's it. 

The headlight would probably be direct to the battery only wired to a realy that only allows it to work when the motor is running. That way I can keep the stock stator.

• RockerYZWR

Posted June 14, 2016 - 10:40 AM

I'm thinking of forgoing the WR in favor of the FX, and getting it plated in South Dakota (no inspection, done by mail)...then adding a Headlight and tailight with brakelight (lic plate holder), and that's it.
The headlight would probably be direct to the battery only wired to a realy that only allows it to work when the motor is running. That way I can keep the stock stator.

That is exactly my plan. I need it to be street legal as well for where I ride mainly and don't particularly care whether it's a WR or FX, but with that plan, there's less work to do with the FX to get it where I want it. I'll most likely start shopping in September.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 14, 2016 - 01:16 PM

That is exactly my plan. I need it to be street legal as well for where I ride mainly and don't particularly care whether it's a WR or FX, but with that plan, there's less work to do with the FX to get it where I want it. I'll most likely start shopping in September.

Some dealers in Los Angeles say they have been told there are no more 450FX's for 2016, as they did not make as many as the 250FX's (which are selling for $6600++)

• tomerb

Posted June 16, 2016 - 08:10 PM

Same as AZ no inspection and can be done by mail..............

• Harry Potter

Posted June 20, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Is there a larger aftermarket fuel tank available for the 2016-17 WR450F Yamaha?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.