09 YZ450F triple clamp pinch bolts

5 replies to this topic
  • Yz71

Posted June 07, 2016 - 05:59 PM

I recently changed my steering bearings and when I was installing the forks I snapped one of the fork pinch bolts off. I torqued the bolts to 15 ft/lb as the manual says to. All bolts tightened fine besides this one and one other that felt like the threads were starting to stretch so I quit tightening. I removed the broken remainder of the bolt easily.
Does anyone know where I could find these pinch bolts for an 09 YZ450F. I can't find these bolts anywhere. Also if anyone knows why this bolt would snap or what I did wrong here please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Joe

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 07, 2016 - 06:15 PM

That torque range is for new, clean, uncorroded bolts.

If you don't have anti-sieze on the bolts, they will get tight in the threads very quickly.

Steel bolts into aluminum threads will oxidize and start to seize up, without anti-sieze.

Also, if you are using a torque wrench that goes up past 50 ftlbs, it's not going to be accurate enough, typically.

It should be rated from 0 to 35 or 0 to 50 for that application.

When they are rated from 10-100, and it costs fifty bucks, well,.....

You need a wrench that will still be at under 5% error at the ftlbs you are using it for.

Most 'big' wrenchs are not accurate until you get over 50ftlbs, and the error below that can be as much as 50%.

• Yz71

Posted June 07, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Yeah the torque wrench that I am using got from 0 to 150 ft/lb. I will definitely pick up a smaller wrench for more accuracy on smaller bolts.

I've searched everywhere I can to find the pinch bolts and can't find them anywhere. Someone has to have replaced these at some point right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • damnbiker94

Posted June 07, 2016 - 09:10 PM

Motosport or partzilla will have oem bolts.

• Yz71

Posted June 08, 2016 - 06:27 AM

Thanks. That was simple I don't know why I couldn't find that

• vossman23

Posted June 08, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Lowes or Ace hardware usually have a big section of bolts, Hillman makes them. I try there first usually.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.