Please help. 07 Yz450F can't get timing chain around cams

3 replies to this topic
  • Wheelingislife

Posted June 07, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Hi all. I would appreciate any insight on my issue.

2007 Yz450F
I'm in the process of rebuilding the top end.

I do have a decent mechanical background.

I ordered 1 Timing Chain off the OEM parts section of rockymountain while I was ordering my other parts needed for the rebuild.

Here's my current situation. I am at the point where I have the cylinder and all bolted down ready to put the cams in and put the cam chain around them but it simply seems like the cam chain is just not long enough to fish around both cams. I have fought it for an hour seeming like every which way I could try and cannot get both cams under the chain and positioned correctly.

-The bike is at TDC on the compression stroke.

- the cam chain is not bound up or kinked at the bottom

- I even went and picked up another cam chain from my local dealer to see if there was a difference. There was not.

- the tensioner is completely out not even bolted on right now

I am very frustrated at what normally is a simple procedure for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2016 - 01:53 PM

Under normal circumstances, the cam chain cannot be placed over both cams with both cams in place.  My procedure is to set the front cam (exhaust on yours, intake on the EFI bikes) in place and timed correctly.  Then I position the rear cam in the center of the head, between the two cam saddles, and set the chain over it with 13 pins separating the two "12:00 o'clock" marks on the cams, then roll it back and down into place.  Most of the time, it comes out timed correctly on the first try this way.

Is the chain genuine Yamaha?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2005yz250fbb

Posted June 07, 2016 - 01:56 PM

Put the cam chain over the exhaust cam and put the exhaust cam into its place. Remove the intake cam and wrap the cam chain around its sprocket. Then carefully put the cam into its place. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do it as well.

• Wheelingislife

Posted June 08, 2016 - 06:29 AM

gray racer I will give that a shot.

Chain is OEM Genuine Yamaha.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.