spark plug sootting up 2012 yz 450

3 replies to this topic
  • Brendan R

Posted June 07, 2016 - 02:50 AM

Hi there,

Would any one know why my spark plug is going black after only 3 hours of riding? I have been running two stroke oil in my fuel of 2ml per 20L of fuel as a I have been told this helps to lubricate the fuel pump. Could this be a problem or is the bike just running too rich?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2016 - 12:04 PM

The fuel pump doesn't need lubricating beyond what gasoline does, for openers.  Neither do your piston rings, unless your "gasoline" has a high percentage of ethanol in it.

Is the spark plug a C9RE or equivalent heat range?

Have these first 3 hours been cruising around taking it easy?

The last time you ran it prior to looking at the plug, did the engine reach full operating temperatures and stay there for 20 minutes?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xcbuckeyeguy

Posted June 07, 2016 - 03:38 PM

Do you mix 2-stroke oil in your truck gasoline to lubricate the fuel pump? Sounds like a silly idea to me.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted June 07, 2016 - 05:24 PM

I have been running two stroke oil in my fuel.

Could this be a problem?

Stop doing that, check it again when all the oil is out of the gas tank.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.