When do the 2017s come out?

42 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted June 11, 2016 - 10:53 AM

Great, looks like I wont be on a blue bike for 2017..
Im really put off by the yamahas chassis. It feels absolutely enormous. Both suzuki and yamaha need to redesign there frames.
Im 6'3", 200lbs, and I cant imagine how you smaller riders can handle the yamaha in stock form. You must like big bikes.

Really. Oh my then.

• GHILL28

Posted June 11, 2016 - 12:19 PM

Im really put off by the yamahas chassis. It feels absolutely enormous. Both suzuki and yamaha need to redesign there frames.

Im 6'3", 200lbs, and I cant imagine how you smaller riders can handle the yamaha in stock form. You must like big bikes.

You smoking rocks?  The ergo's in stock form are usually cramped...

I'm 6'0 and I have the bars full forward and lowered pegs.  About as big of ergo's as one could get on this bike without a silly high-rise bar.  No way I'd want it any smaller.

• Zbackcountry

Posted June 11, 2016 - 02:14 PM

Not smoking rocks.. And I know im not the only one who feels this way. Ive heard it said before by a few people..

Im speaking about the 2016 yz 450f. It is a pig.

The cockpit isnt overtly different, but the entire bike overall feels much larger compared to the new ktm/husq, kawi, and hondas. It feels top heavy or something...and I just feel on my tip toes with the bike. Im a big guy, 6'3, 200lb lean, workout all the time, and I have never had this problem with other yzs or any other motocross bike in fact. Only big enduro bikes have given me that feeling before.

It does not feel as small as the late model YZ smokers. Ive always been comfortable on yamahas, but not the new 450f. I really want one, but am waiting for a frame redesign. It is not confidence inspiring, nor do I feel comfortable on it. Im sure others do like it, its just oddbecause ive always loved yzs

Edited by Zbackcountry, June 11, 2016 - 03:39 PM.

• GHILL28

Posted June 11, 2016 - 03:38 PM

Interesting.  I tried for years to get my '06 YZ250 to handle right and not feel wonky in corners.  First ride on my YZ450F I was going through corners twice as fast.  I think this is the best handling Yamaha they've ever made, including all the 2-strokes.

I've ridden a number of the new KTM/Husky's, and they are REALLY tiny feeling to me.  As in, I feel like I'm going to endo while going uphill on a fire road with them.  10 minutes on them and I can tell a full day would result in some back discomfort.  I wouldn't trade the long fit of my YZF for anything.

• Zbackcountry

Posted June 11, 2016 - 03:46 PM

Maybe I just like smaller bikes. However, I have a 2014 ktm 250 sx, and a 2006 kx250, and they are supposedly "tall", but I have no problems..

Im sure if I was a faster rider, id enjoy it more. As an intermediate, I like to know I can manhandle a bike around and put the front tire where I want.

Overall, I would buy blue if they made the chassis smaller, like on the new kawis and ktms. Im sure that when suzuki redesigns there RMZ line-up, they will follow suit. It will cater to their "turn at all costs" heritage. Will yamaha stay with the bigger bikes, since KTMs and Kawis are smaller now?

Edited by Zbackcountry, June 11, 2016 - 03:52 PM.

• Edge316

Posted June 11, 2016 - 08:41 PM

Not smoking rocks.. And I know im not the only one who feels this way. Ive heard it said before by a few people..

Im speaking about the 2016 yz 450f. It is a pig.

The cockpit isnt overtly different, but the entire bike overall feels much larger compared to the new ktm/husq, kawi, and hondas. It feels top heavy or something...and I just feel on my tip toes with the bike. Im a big guy, 6'3, 200lb lean, workout all the time, and I have never had this problem with other yzs or any other motocross bike in fact. Only big enduro bikes have given me that feeling before.

It does not feel as small as the late model YZ smokers. Ive always been comfortable on yamahas, but not the new 450f. I really want one, but am waiting for a frame redesign. It is not confidence inspiring, nor do I feel comfortable on it. Im sure others do like it, its just oddbecause ive always loved yzs

I'm curious...have you ever ridden a 14-16 yz450f or are you judging the bike just by sitting on one?

• hondaman331

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:30 AM

Maybe I just like smaller bikes. However, I have a 2014 ktm 250 sx, and a 2006 kx250, and they are supposedly "tall", but I have no problems..

Im sure if I was a faster rider, id enjoy it more. As an intermediate, I like to know I can manhandle a bike around and put the front tire where I want.

Overall, I would buy blue if they made the chassis smaller, like on the new kawis and ktms. Im sure that when suzuki redesigns there RMZ line-up, they will follow suit. It will cater to their "turn at all costs" heritage. Will yamaha stay with the bigger bikes, since KTMs and Kawis are smaller now?

I bought the 16 yz450f. It sits tall in the rear a bit when sitting on it, but not noticed when ridding. That's with sag set at 100mm. They aren't light, but not heavy either. I put the bars in the forward holes of the triple clamps at +1 on the bars and have enough room to lay down in. After testing different setups I went 100mm sag, 4mm up with the forks from stock and went out 2 clicks on compression in the forks, went out a half turn on high speed in the rear. This is the best handling bike I've ever ridden and it's stock. Anyone calls it a pig must have just came of an 80

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:42 AM

The basic problem is that you have a 27" rear tire, and you want 12" of wheel travel.  That puts the underside of the rear fender at 39" off the ground.  Then you want the seat fairly flat front to rear, and there you are.

• tmeyer37

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:15 PM

You can still ride blue and man handle the bike. Just buy a TTR125LE, small bike and electric start!......

Just kidding man, don't take it the wrong way, I just couldn't resist. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 12, 2016 - 02:47 PM

One of the smallest cockpits for an offroad bike, not large.

The seat may be too high for you, but that can be lowered

Seriously, only the CRF450X and the KX450F have large 'frames'

Everything else now is compact and small.

Maybe you should look at a BETA....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vossman23

Posted June 12, 2016 - 06:22 PM

Probably in the wrong thread but I broke down and bought a 16 450FX yesterday. Figured I could save a bit vs a 17 and I like having both options for starting and the graphics on the 16.
My local dealers were not willing to budge on price so I drove 75 miles and paid $1k less.

• cowboyona426

Posted June 13, 2016 - 11:39 AM

I'm glad I bought a 16 and didn't wait until 17.  I could give a rip about black wheels and I think the removal of the kick start is a bad idea.  I've yet to use mine but I like that it's there if the battery or charging system should fail.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2016 - 12:10 PM

When all it weighs is 2 pounds and it's not in my way, I like having the back up system.  Besides, I'm a Rekluse user, so no bump starts.

• gardwadt

Posted June 13, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Charge more get less!

• cowboyona426

Posted June 13, 2016 - 01:25 PM

When all it weighs is 2 pounds and it's not in my way, I like having the back up system.  Besides, I'm a Rekluse user, so no bump starts.

Agreed.  Plus, I like the idea of spending $30 for a kickstart delete kit should I feel so inclined over spending $320 to add the kickstart back onto the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2016 - 02:10 PM

There you go, bringing money and common sense into it again.

• vossman23

Posted June 13, 2016 - 02:33 PM

Agreed.  Plus, I like the idea of spending $30 for a kickstart delete kit should I feel so inclined over spending $320 to add the kickstart back onto the bike.

This!

• cowboyona426

Posted June 13, 2016 - 03:01 PM

There you go, bringing money and common sense into it again.

Despite my status as an employee of the US government, I do elect to use common sense and logic on a somewhat regular basis.

• mxrider4life847

Posted June 14, 2016 - 09:38 AM

I went to the dealer last Saturday to see what's up. Supposedly they have only 1 450FX left. ( out of I believe 6 local dealerships ) 2 weeks ago there were 4 bikes available. Looks as if the going rate for them around here in Texas is $9300-9500 OTD, And they are not budging. So, how about them rebates?! Killin me.

• hondaman331

Posted June 14, 2016 - 02:38 PM

I went to the dealer last Saturday to see what's up. Supposedly they have only 1 450FX left. ( out of I believe 6 local dealerships ) 2 weeks ago there were 4 bikes available. Looks as if the going rate for them around here in Texas is $9300-9500 OTD, And they are not budging. So, how about them rebates?! Killin me.

you will get a 300 dollar credit card and if you race you can earn contingency....makes sense .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.