Cool trail tips???

23 replies to this topic
  • Carlisle1972

Posted March 13, 2004 - 01:30 PM

What are some cool trail tips you guys know of, like bailing wire on grips or use a front innertube for the rear in a pinch? Vegtable spray under fenders in mud, coat greese on the inside of the air box for just in case. :)

• FTD

Posted March 13, 2004 - 01:51 PM

My bike shuts down on the trail if the beer in my back pack gets above 35 degrees (f) and won't start until the beer is gone or ice is replaced. :D :)
Had a guy piss in his radiator after we fixed the hole...

• ddialogue

Posted March 13, 2004 - 04:38 PM

Coat grease on the inside of the airbox? Can you expound a little bit more on this? I'm confused! :)

• Tom14911

Posted March 13, 2004 - 04:46 PM

In black sharpie, I write the main jet, pilot, clip position and fuel screw setting on the side of my carb.

PS I put aspirin in my camelback.

• ddialogue

Posted March 13, 2004 - 04:52 PM

Aspirin in the camelbak...that's interesting. :)

• Carlisle1972

Posted March 13, 2004 - 04:55 PM

Grease - In the inside of the air box if there is any dirt that passes through the filter the grease (which is applied in a light coat all over the inside of the air box) should catch any dirt that your filter missed and it will tell you how good your filter is working

• Tom14911

Posted March 13, 2004 - 07:48 PM

I drop the aspirin to thin my blood, which reduces arm pump and is a pre-strike against muscle pain.

Works great for me.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted March 14, 2004 - 04:13 AM

I use silicone spray in place of your idea of vegetable spray, but i'm sure they both work the same. Other than that just basic stuff for me; spare levers, zip ties, couple of commonly used nuts and bolts, spare con' link for the chain etc in the backpack/Camelbak. :)

• jackofall

Posted March 14, 2004 - 04:42 AM

I always carry a tube of JB Weld - that stuff is amazing. Will fix clutch perches to radiators to foot pegs. Never leave home without it.

• ETP

Posted March 14, 2004 - 04:56 AM

Several wraps of duct tape around a small stick, bailing wire, and a hose clamp or two in the old fanny pack makes for good McGuyver material on the trail....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wfo_in_it

Posted March 14, 2004 - 10:41 AM

Mcgyver, I like that, fixes something with nothing and always gets the girl. now that`s a trail tip.WOO HOO!! :D :)

• mtrablue

Posted March 14, 2004 - 03:46 PM

not sure if you would call it a trail tip but, save an expired drivers license and stash it in your fanny pack. it'll help i.d. the body. use a sharpie and write your blood type and medicine allergies. wrap up some money for a phone call or an unplanned gas stop. we know we shouldn't ride alone but..........

• N7SLC

Posted March 14, 2004 - 04:03 PM

How about letting your orange-riding buddy go ahead of you. When he
ends up in a pile in front of you, GAS IT! :)

I hear those orange bikes add great traction to the trail! :D

• tigerowner_ut

Posted March 15, 2004 - 09:39 AM

Carry lots of Zip-Ties! Broke my throttle tube while riding the Idaho 100 and was able to zip tie my grip to the 3/4" that was still intact. They will also strap down anything that might have broken loose in a wreck. Zip ties, duct tape, bailing wire, JB Weld, what else do you need?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 15, 2004 - 10:12 AM

Dont forget all those handy Metric rocks that are littered all over the trail. They work great in a pinch to pound bent/broken bike parts back to submission :)

• crayztwentyseven

Posted March 15, 2004 - 10:39 AM

I also found that a couple of common allen wrenches are handy for carb adjustment or etc. because without an allen wrench its almost impossible to lossen an allen bolt. A few weeks ago my buddie broke his shift lever in a crash and we had no jb weld (but should have) so two allen wrenches came in handy as a splint and we just taped them with elec. tape and the shifter held up the rest of the day! :D Just my two cents. :)

• John_H

Posted March 15, 2004 - 01:08 PM

I drop the aspirin to thin my blood, which reduces arm pump and is a pre-strike against muscle pain.

Works great for me.

Asprin doesn't really thin your blood, but rather prevents the formation of a platlet aggregating substance that impedes clotting. :)

Not saying it doesn't work for you.

I carry a 10 mm socket/extension/handle, screwdriver, some allens, spark plug and tape in my camelback. My buddy has extra levers, a perch, and lots of tools. :D

• tctrailrider

Posted March 15, 2004 - 01:19 PM

Dont forget all those handy Metric rocks that are littered all over the trail. They work great in a pinch to pound bent/broken bike parts back to submission

Those rocks may have worked fine in the past but I just don't see you using them on the new scoot.

• JVP

Posted March 15, 2004 - 06:51 PM

One of the most important things everyone should carry is some TP in a Zip-lock bag. It is good for wiping your goggles off and wiping your :) when you are 50 miles away from anything close to an outhouse. :D

• DeltaT

Posted March 15, 2004 - 09:07 PM

I carry about $30, plus $4 in quarters. Also a pre-paid $10 phone card. Ibuprofen, Immodium :), Large Bandaids, 2 master links, clean rag (I like cotton diapers for these - if clean can also serve as a bandage. Rag also acts as pad inside fannypack), duct tape, wire, tube of Tri-flo lubricant, extra levers (1 each side). Regular tools and tire stuff. A few of the blue paper shop towels folded up. All in an MSR Enduro fannypack.

I will add JB Weld - great idea!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.