Thoughts on this 02 Yz250?

there was an 05 kx125 on there for $1075, said it had a bad head gasket maybe.  I would be all over that if I had any cash, although I always say when I get another 125 it will be an 07+ yz no question about it. 

• Like 1

I think he said he was going to modify his car...he's saving up for a fiberglass hood and a big exhaust pipe....I think I'm going to make an offer on that yz250.

Lol... Try forged internals and big turbo.

I love how people get upset how others spend their money

still looking,

I would check this on out if I was in the market for an early 2000's

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5651540123.html 250 2t

rear wheel/tire looks small, could b an 18" wheel with a smaller size tire on it, which would not be a big deal, and the 18" wheel is preferred by lots of woods riders. I have one

That's a '96 - '98... That's another reason titles are nice to have, so people can't lie about the year.

^ didn't look at pictures very close and even then it's hard for me to tell what year.  What was the give away? 

The clutch cover area looks a little different but other than that nothing really stands out too me

Edited by subxero
  • Like 1

^ didn't look at pictures very close and even then it's hard for me to tell what year.  What was the give away? 

The clutch cover area looks a little different but other than that nothing really stands out too me

2000-2001 YZs had a white airbox and the subframe was made of square-section aluminum tubing (silver in color).

Also, the link pivot location (hole in the side of the swingarm) on the 1996-1998 bikes is higher than the later bikes.

And you noticed the clutch cover. That changed around a bit until the 1999 & up design.

My guess is that bike is somewhere around 1996-1998.  ?

• Like 2

^ didn't look at pictures very close and even then it's hard for me to tell what year. What was the give away?

Clutch cover was the dead give away. It is easier to tell by the other side for sure though. Also, 99% of the time a 2000 or 2001 model will have a white air box. Some people do switch out the white air box with a black one, but that's rare.

If someone has the black air box, and current engine, it's likely a '99 model. Many will try to tell you it is a 2000 or 2001 though. You can quickly find out by checking the subframe with a magnet. They switched to an aluminum subframe in 2000. There's nothing wrong with a 99, but it's good to know the actual year when negotiating a price. You really can't visually tell the difference between a '00 or '01, so it's best to check the vin to be sure.

People mix up the years the same way with the '02 - '04 models. You can quickly identify an '02 by the rear brake master cylinder (has a seperate reservoir).. I've seen many people trying to pass off their '02 as an '04. All of this is why I won't buy a bike without a title.

Edited by Chevy_97
  • Like 2

2000-2001 YZs had a white airbox and the subframe was made of square-section aluminum tubing (silver in color).

Also, the link pivot location (hole in the side of the swingarm) on the 1996-1998 bikes is higher than the later bikes.

And you noticed the clutch cover. That changed around a bit until the 1999 & up design.

My guess is that bike is somewhere around 1996-1998. ?

You beat me to it while I was writing my response.

• Like 1

Some time? Man, you gotta JUMP on those because if it's really a good deal, they go fast! I looked for a good deal on YZ's for almost 2 years and when I saw mine listed, I called him right away. I told him that unless he's lying about something or it doesn't run, I'd take it. It was actually such a good deal, I could have afforded to put a top end on it and it STILL would have been a good deal. I met him at home when he got home from work with my trailer, rode it around the block and paid for it.

This ^ is totally true in my area as well. Find a good YZ250 at a decent price and you better buy it that day. Paid $2100 for my 2005. It had new top and bottom end, new tires, excellent plastics, new chain and sprockets, and low hours. Guys were calling the seller the whole time I was loading it up.

• Like 1

Actually the 2000-2001 aluminum sub frames were painted blue but would usually rub off exposing the silver underneath.

Ah yes, very true. I guess I mixed it up with the current bikes.  ?

Good catch, mikey!  ?

I have been lingering in this thread and just reading along. Can't believe it takes so long to buy something. Kind of like a brand new set of wheels. LOL...

Bikes at the right price move quick. I have paid 500 to 1,600 for a bikes. 1,600 being the top. But once i am done with it, I have up to another 1,000 invested. They all sell pretty fast. But damned if this 04-125 hasn't sat longest. I am going to let the 20yo boy take it to the track and see if he likes it. His gf dad is trying to talk him into a YZ250F for the track because he says the 125 will wear him out to fast. Ha, the 05 CRF450R he rides would wear me out. A 125 would be like riding a mountain bike with a motor.

But then again, my track days ended in the 80's and I haven't ridden one since. :ride:  

Edited by PALMER84ONE
  • Like 2

I have been lingering in this thread and just reading along. Can't believe it takes so long to buy something. Kind of like a brand new set of wheels. LOL...

Bikes at the right price move quick. I have paid 500 to 1,600 for a bikes. 1,600 being the top. But once i am done with it, I have up to another 1,000 invested. They all sell pretty fast. But damned if this 04-125 hasn't sat longest. I am going to let the 20yo boy take it to the track and see if he likes it. His gf dad is trying to talk him into a YZ250F for the track because he says the 125 will wear him out to fast. Ha, the 05 CRF450R he rides would wear me out. A 125 would be like riding a mountain bike with a motor.

But then again, my track days ended in the 80's and I haven't ridden one since. :ride:

I'm not really in any hurry to buy a bike. With work its hard to make time to look at it when a seller is able to as well unfortunately. Ill find one someday lol

Another member pmed me a while back and is bring a clean bike from Colorado back to his house. It looks like a really nice bike for a great price so that may work out for me. I believe he said July 11th he'll be back.

Edited by Zakrad_u
  • Like 1

Not baggin on yah brother, hope you didn't take it that way. Didn't sound like it. I know life gets in th way. I just can't wait, in another year, it will be what I want to do, not what the man wants me to do. But then again, there is the little lady that will run my free time. Haha.

• Like 2

Not baggin on yah brother, hope you didn't take it that way. Didn't sound like it. I know life gets in th way. I just can't wait, in another year, it will be what I want to do, not what the man wants me to do. But then again, there is the little lady that will run my free time. Haha.

Not at all, you're all good!

The bike a guy is bringing back is an 04, has a rekluse, 3.9 tank with stock one and a few other goodies. For the price it seems like a great deal.

No title though as Colorado doesn't require them.