Braking power on my yz450f '15

11 replies to this topic
  • espkul

Posted June 06, 2016 - 05:04 AM

I've a question reg. braking power on my yz. 

A couple of friends have Hondas (old and new), and the braking power on their Hondas are just awesome. It's one finger stoppies easily! I was shocked when I tried a crf450 lately...

The brakes on my yz are OK, and way better than on previous older yamahas I've had, but still behind Honda (and maybe other brands).

I'm considering buying the MS from a crf450, but I wanted to ask you guys first. 

Anyone here having the same experience as me? What would you do?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 06, 2016 - 05:29 AM

Just service the system you have:

- high temp oil

- bleed

- re-seat the pads after cleaning the rotor and sanding the pads

- do not sand the rotor

The Honda and Yamaha braking systems are nearly identical.

• keeseckb

Posted June 06, 2016 - 12:07 PM

An oversized front rotor will do wonders for the braking power. Not sure why Yamaha waited till 2016 to finally put one on from the factory. 

• Rogerson Motorsports

Posted June 16, 2016 - 03:41 PM

I put a stainless braided line and a MotoStuff 280mm oversive rotor on my with the stock pads, more front brake than most people would need probably,  but nice to have when youre in a pinch. The nice thing is the brake is stronger but has good feel to it as its progressive and not super grabby like some brakes.

• asian195

Posted June 16, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Start with the honda master cylinder. Leaps and bounds better than yamaha. Both made by the same company but to different specs. If you want more braking power, then by a honda caliper and oem honda pads. (I believe there is a write up that shows how to fit oem honda pads into the Yamaha caliper as another option). Then for even more go to a oversize rotor.

I just rode my friends 2016 crf450. At our local track there's a double single into a left hand corner. On my Yamaha i double then hard on the brakes then jump the single into the corner. On the first lap on the honda i doubled, got hard on the brakes like normal, and came to a complete stop before the single. Luckily there wasn't anyone behind me. Lmao. The braking power was amazing and super smooth. I will be doing to swap on my bike soon.

• toten

Posted June 17, 2016 - 09:27 AM

1 finger stoppies on knobbies with stock brakes? Wow, I sure wouldn't expect that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drenmaster

Posted June 17, 2016 - 06:58 PM

i put SS lines and a solid galfer disc on my '14.. the solid disc is way better IMO than the floating one.. my brakes are pretty damn good now.  

Edit 270 rotor.. 

Edited by Drenmaster, June 17, 2016 - 08:56 PM.

• NW_drZ

Posted June 17, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Tusk over sized rotor. Makes a big difference. Dropped one on my FX

• toten

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:07 AM

i put SS lines and a solid galfer disc on my '14.. the solid disc is way better IMO than the floating one.. my brakes are pretty damn good now.  

Edit 270 rotor.. 

I wonder why it works better for you. What about it do you prefer?

• Drenmaster

Posted June 20, 2016 - 08:28 AM

I wonder why it works better for you. What about it do you prefer?

So i have been running the regular galfer 270 rotor for years and it worked great no complaints. Once they release the solid rotor i went and bought it and right away i could tell a difference. its like the initial response was totally different and more sensitive with better feel and feedback. This was not because it was a new rotor, because i never had that feeling with the other rotors when they were new. 

KTM also uses the solid rotors and while there is a lot more to their braking system everyone knows KTM is top notch in that department. 

• toten

Posted June 20, 2016 - 11:07 AM

On the other hand, at least for bikes raced on pavement all the high end brake setups seem to be floating. I imagine that's for a reason. Maybe there's some advantage to solid for dirt.

• asian195

Posted June 20, 2016 - 07:35 PM

I've always wondered the pros and cons between solid and floating rotors. Never got a straight answer though.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.