06 WR450 Marchesini Supermoto Wheel Spacing

6 replies to this topic
  • clawhamm3r

Posted June 05, 2016 - 07:29 AM

Hey guys, first time poster but what feels like a long time lurker because I've basically been living on this site since I picked up a street legal 06 WR450 a few weeks back. It's been well-used, so I'm tearing it down for a full refresh. As soon as I plated it I pulled the motor out for rebuild and will be powdercoating the frame, etc; as well as new bearings/seals/rubber for anything I touch along the way.

Anyway, it came with a set of Marchesinis as well as the stock set up, and the PO gave me a little red aluminum spacer for the front wheel. I understand this is to replace the stock speedo gear, but is it as simple as that? The spacer has some wear on it that's a little unsettling.

And the rear wheel came chain-slapped to hell. PO said he just stacked a bunch of washers behind the sprocket to stop it but I don't know how I feel about that. It's a 5" with a 160 on it.

Can you guys let me know the proper way to do this front and rear? Is there a kit I can buy? 

Maybe what I described above is the way to do it and that's fine, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right/safe way. The PO didn't really seem like the right way kind of guy. He put a new chain on that let go first ride with no case saver (hence the rebuild). But as I'm tearing the bike apart I'm finding missing bolts, clamps, and parts all over the place. Also bolts that are not even hand tight, just kind of sitting in place (front axle pinch bolts o_o). So I'm taking his spacing method with a grain of salt and asking the experts. TIA

IMG_20160515_185829_zpsuhvbo85l.jpg

IMG_20160521_181724_zpsnecs9cjr.jpg

• stevethe

Posted June 05, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Good questions. The front red spacer sounds a bit foo foo. They normally come with black spacers that are tight in the seals. So put the front wheel on and see if you need another spacer.
Toxic Moto may be able to help you get the right spacer. If not you can have one made with a machinest.

The rear chain rub may have been a stock width chain that was way too loose. You can run the narrower Xring chains or some people run non oring chains.

• clawhamm3r

Posted June 06, 2016 - 03:38 PM

Good questions. The front red spacer sounds a bit foo foo. They normally come with black spacers that are tight in the seals. So put the front wheel on and see if you need another spacer.
Toxic Moto may be able to help you get the right spacer. If not you can have one made with a machinest.

The rear chain rub may have been a stock width chain that was way too loose. You can run the narrower Xring chains or some people run non oring chains.

Thanks, I'll try reaching out to Toxic. I'll try the wheel as soon as I can. Here's the bobo spacer I was talking about:

IMG_20160605_165422_zpsytx1w7vm.jpg

Oh and I lied, it's a 150 on the rear sumo wheel.

Edited by clawhamm3r, June 06, 2016 - 03:39 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted June 06, 2016 - 04:50 PM

Thanks, I'll try reaching out to Toxic. I'll try the wheel as soon as I can. Here's the bobo spacer I was talking about:

IMG_20160605_165422_zpsytx1w7vm.jpg

Oh and I lied, it's a 150 on the rear sumo wheel.

It could be a Marchisini spacer painted red. Try it and you will find out.

• clawhamm3r

Posted June 18, 2016 - 09:44 PM

So I threw the front Marchesini on with the spacer and everything seems spaced appropriately. Still going to see if I can find an official solution but this will do if I can't, I think.

I don't think it's a Marchesini spacer painted red, it's anodized btw, but it doesn't perfectly match the rest of the wheel sizes. 

What do you guys think?

IMG_20160618_134542_zpsjl8t3bqs.jpg

IMG_20160618_134532_zps6j0ydqoo.jpg

IMG_20160618_134507_zpsdd3dxkor.jpg

• stevethe

Posted June 19, 2016 - 06:27 AM

If the shoe fits wear it. :thumbsup:

• toten

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:09 AM

Those sure are sexy wheels, I'm jealous. 

I agree that if it seems to fit right, use it. Maybe it's for speedo drive removal?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.