wr 2016 ECU

15 replies to this topic
  • finbike

Posted June 04, 2016 - 09:04 AM

Is there any visual differences between the locked ECU and the GYTR competition ECU? I just bought the bike here in Finland and the dealer did not know anything about it. I have removed the catalyzator from the header pipe, throttle restrictor, air filter box restrictor and silencer restrictor. I have heard that the european models are supposed to have the competition ECU allready installed from new, but I would like to confirm that if its possible.

• foggy3061

Posted June 04, 2016 - 10:11 AM

Is there any visual differences between the locked ECU and the GYTR competition ECU? I just bought the bike here in Finland and the dealer did not know anything about it. I have removed the catalyzator from the header pipe, throttle restrictor, air filter box restrictor and silencer restrictor. I have heard that the european models are supposed to have the competition ECU allready installed from new, but I would like to confirm that if its possible.

It should have the competition ECU on it already but the easiest way to check would be to plug a yamaha power tuner (your local dealer may have one you could try) into it and see if you can read/write to it?

• finbike

Posted June 04, 2016 - 12:41 PM

Good idea, the only problem is that nobody has the fuel injected yamahas in my area so the local dealer dont have the tuner. Ktm is the king of enduro bikes in Finland, but I want to change that thing :) It actually runs quite smoothly so I think it has the competition ECU. Not so fast on low revs but that could be caused by the silencer I guess? A bit silly that nothing in the manual refers to these de-restricting procedures.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 04, 2016 - 02:24 PM

Good idea, the only problem is that nobody has the fuel injected yamahas in my area so the local dealer dont have the tuner. Ktm is the king of enduro bikes in Finland, but I want to change that thing :) It actually runs quite smoothly so I think it has the competition ECU. Not so fast on low revs but that could be caused by the silencer I guess? A bit silly that nothing in the manual refers to these de-restricting procedures.

Look up the part number on Yamahas' parts fiche

• Macsplace

Posted June 04, 2016 - 08:23 PM

The locked ECU here in the US has 2GC002M5Z902FA printed on it and while it has been a few months since I installed the competition GYTR ECU seems like I remember it starting with 2GC7 but unfortunately not 100% sure of this.

Edited by Macsplace, June 04, 2016 - 08:28 PM.

• finbike

Posted June 05, 2016 - 01:25 AM

The locked ECU here in the US has 2GC002M5Z902FA printed on it and while it has been a few months since I installed the competition GYTR ECU seems like I remember it starting with 2GC7 but unfortunately not 100% sure of this.

Thank you! The first line on my ECU says: 2GC1. The second line says: 2GC102M5YC017A. The gytr competition ECU part number is: 2GC-E9500-V0-00.

So I´m a bit confused.

If I look at the power tuner on yamahamotors.eu it does not say anything about a competition ECU. but if I go to the american yamaha website it says you have to buy the comptetiton ECU also.

Guess I have to buy the power tuner before I know for sure...

• Macsplace

Posted June 05, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Sometimes part numbers can be confusing. The stock ECU part number is 2GC-8591A-00-00 but yet 2GC002M5Z902FA is printed on the part. The GYTR competition ECU is 2GC-E9500-V0-00 and I do remember there was a different number on the ECU. Your ECU may be unlocked or have a different map than the US ECU explaining the different part number. But yes the Power Tuner will answer the question of locked or unlocked.

Edited by Macsplace, June 05, 2016 - 07:18 AM.

• finbike

Posted August 02, 2016 - 10:15 AM

Uppdate! Finally got my power tuner. The competition ecu is allready installed here in Finland, so it seems its just America that gets the locked wersion.
The standard map is all zeroes.
So now im wondering if this GYTR's suggested baselines is a good map?

Competition kit/ecu installed
Stock Exhaust
Consistent Power Delivery at All RPM

Fuel
3/4 -2 -2 -2
3/8 -3 -3 -3
1/8 -4 -4 -4

Ignition
3/4 -2 -2 -2
3/8 -2 -2 -2
1/8 -2 -2 -2

Seems to be quite different from most magazines maps?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:06 AM

Uppdate! Finally got my power tuner. The competition ecu is allready installed here in Finland, so it seems its just America that gets the locked wersion.
The standard map is all zeroes.
So now im wondering if this GYTR's suggested baselines is a good map?
Competition kit/ecu installed
Stock Exhaust
Consistent Power Delivery at All RPM
Fuel
3/4 -2 -2 -2
3/8 -3 -3 -3
1/8 -4 -4 -4
Ignition
3/4 -2 -2 -2
3/8 -2 -2 -2
1/8 -2 -2 -2
Seems to be quite different from most magazines maps?

It's very easy to change maps with the power tuner.

• finbike

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:20 AM

It's very easy to change maps with the power tuner.

• finbike

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:24 AM

Yes i dont have a problem with the tuner. I was wondering about the map as i allready wrote. Seems strange to go minus on both fuel and ignition.

• finbike

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:40 AM

For example transmotos "competition trim" map is quite different with same goal of more linear power across the rew range
https://transmoto.co...rs-2016-wr450f/

• stevethe

Posted August 02, 2016 - 12:44 PM

The maps are all over the place. Some no right nor wrong they just make the bike run different for what your looking for. Make a experiment try all + 4's on the ignition then - 4's and you will feel what it does.

• finbike

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:42 PM

Yes I'm going to try different maps. I'm just a little bit conserned about to radical changes. Seems that some people go out of control when they start mapping. How does the more radical changes effect the durability? I dont want to get a blown out motor on  my hard earned bike.

Here is a good video explaining the effects of changing maps.

Quote: "Just like with carburetted bikes, be careful with to lean fuel mapping"

And: "advanced ignition equals more engine heat, so be very careful with ignition changes

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 03, 2016 - 05:28 AM

Yes I'm going to try different maps. I'm just a little bit conserned about to radical changes. Seems that some people go out of control when they start mapping. How does the more radical changes effect the durability? I dont want to get a blown out motor on  my hard earned bike.

Here is a good video explaining the effects of changing maps.

Quote: "Just like with carburetted bikes, be careful with to lean fuel mapping"

And: "advanced ignition equals more engine heat, so be very careful with ignition changes

You are only able to make a +/- 7% change in ignition and fuel mapping.

You cannot harm the bike with the GYTR tuner.

If your motor is modified more radically (flat track) you have to use the Dealers YDST tool, or change ignition systems (Vortex) to get more adjustment.

Edited by KRANNIE, August 03, 2016 - 05:34 AM.

• finbike

Posted August 03, 2016 - 08:43 AM

You are only able to make a +/- 7% change in ignition and fuel mapping.

You cannot harm the bike with the GYTR tuner.

If your motor is modified more radically (flat track) you have to use the Dealers YDST tool, or change ignition systems (Vortex) to get more adjustment.

If I'm not misstaking it's +/- 21% changes in fuel as each step is 3%. So if I "translate" that to oldschool carburetted bikes, I have never made 21% changes in jetting.

Not that I have seen maps with -7 on fuel but -5 I have seen.

When it comes to ignition it is 1% / step as you say. I have never tried to change ignition on my bikes so can't say much about that. But if I f.ex. make -4 adjustments on fuel in some areas and go +4 on ignition, isn't that a quite radical change?

Please correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm not trying to be a "smart ass". Just like to know what I'm actually doing before I dive in to this mapping festivity :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.