Need to decide between XR650R and CRF450

Hi all, I just joined the site because I need some input.

I ride a 2001 CR250, mostly all trail riding. I am growing tired of 2 strokes.

I am selling it and buying a new bike. "Honda only"

Which ever bike I choose, I will be adding a street kit, lights, signals, license plate etc, also I will be getting supermoto 17" wheels with gp tires. Skill level is not an issue. ? I will post this same message in the CRF450 forum. Thanks

Jeff

www.outrider1.com

As for the basic bikes themselves, the xr650r lends itself much better to the street for lots of reasons, the main one being the crf's lack of oil capacity. Easy to run it dry on a long road trip. The 650R simply doesnt have that problem, as it was designed from the get-go for 1000 mile baja races. The crf was designed for a 20 minute moto (then an oil change). Also, the 650R motor has potential for HUGE power. Mine has 60 hp at the moment (according to what "they" say, whoever "they" are). Scheduled for next winters tear down is a Honda power-up kit(piston, cam, etc), head porting, oversized valves, white bros exhuast, etc. My goal is for 70 streetable horsepower. The crf is AWESOME; I am getting one myself. But the 650 really is better for what your contemplating, IMHO.

I agree with Rides Red, I am in the process of dualsporting a 2000 XR650R, and hope to be on pavement within a month or so. I don't know the top speed of the 450, but the 650 is 100 mph which would be nice for the occasional interstate romp. Plus, you can't beat the reliability of the Baja King. Just an FYI, I am going through some challenges because I bought mine (very slightly) used, and my name is not the one on the Certificate of Origin. Check with your DMV if you are considering buying used. Good luck. I'd pick the 650RRRRRRRRR.

Gary ?:D

Yeah, I'm getting a 05 anyway. Any chance they lighten-up the XR a little? We'll have to wait. I agree with RidesRed, the XR has all the advantages for the street while the CRF is better on the track and trails. I would mainly ride around town, go to trackdays (street) and the occasionnal trail run, maybe 2 or three times per month. Good luck with that power up kit, hope it works well for you. The other thing that bothers me is that the CRF will need way more valve maintenance but they say the extra performance makes up for it. So far I am more in favor of the CRF. I have my Fireblade for long trips.

Winkel, I would have to buy the bike new to convert it street legal(illegally). I would have to be the first person to register it as a new bike"fit".

What is there not to like about a 2001 CR250? I think the CRF would have many of the same charactoristics that you don't like about the CR. The XR is a completely different type of bike. I agree with RidesRed. Also, find someone with an XR650R to hook up with and go ride it. You'll be glad you did, no matter which bike you choose in the end.

I am asking guys on supermotojunkie.com also and after their input, I am leaning towards the XR now. I don't like the CR250 anymore cuz I want to take it easy for a change instead of always being on the pipe. Also, the gas tank won't doesn't get me very far. Hummmmmmm.

This is easy - get both. It depends on what you are looking for - high speed flying or more technical stuff. If you live in California the 450 is a red sticker and you are limited to the season. I have had my 650 for 3 years and like it. I bought the 450 and like it as well. I ride desert and tend to have more fun on the 450 due to the weight but miss the speed and stability of the piggy. You will spend more on after market stuff with the 650 to get it dialed in so don't think that you are saving money. The 450X (if and when it comes out) may be the ticket??? ?

My main concern about getting a CRF is the high strung engine. How long will it last, how will the valves hold up over a few years. Does it need an oil change every time you take it out? How much oil does it take anyway?

if your looking to have a blast on the bike then you really want the 650!! Man that bike is awesome but i have never rode the 450 before but i ahve the 650 and i love it.. And i think the 650 is more of a dual sported bike. Depends on all the things you want to do on it!

I would have to agree that the 650 would be better for the street. I was concerned about the engine on the 450 also. I'd rather be riding instead of doing maintenance. The 650 was more comfortable ergonomically for me also.

Valve life on the crf is short and sweet, valve replacement is considered routine maintainance on a crf. XR650r's on the other hand are the energizer bunny.... the crf oil capacity is slightly over a pint! They are a full race motor, maintainance intensive as well. The crf has shim-under-bucket valve adjustment (which means you have to remove the camshaft to check and adjust the valve clearance), the xr650r has good old adjusters w/ lock nuts on the ends of the rocker arms....in other words the xr takes about 10 minutes to adjust the valves, and the crf needs the motor pulled to do the same.....The crf is an awesome mx racer, but a truly poor choice for a regularly ridden street bike.

These bikes really don't compete with each other. Your type of riding should make the decision for you. MX, or any other air time, harescrambles, closed course stuff, go for the CRF. The CRF is (strangely) a much better MX bike.

Cross-country, high speed, dual sport, long distance, comfort or serious open country, durability, reliability, the XR rules.

?

Hi all, I just joined the site because I need some input.

I ride a 2001 CR250, mostly all trail riding. I am growing tired of 2 strokes.

I am selling it and buying a new bike. "Honda only"

Which ever bike I choose, I will be adding a street kit, lights, signals, license plate etc, also I will be getting supermoto 17" wheels with gp tires. Skill level is not an issue. :D I will post this same message in the CRF450 forum. Thanks

Jeff

www.outrider1.com

I got a xr650r street legal. No supermoto wheels.... yet ?

I rode a crf450r the other day, I liked it. But I like my brp much more. For the street the xr is way better.

It makes a great supermoto for the street, even for racing is good. You can keep up with your buds in the twisties on the xr easily.

The crf I rode didnt have the torque my xr makes. It didnt have the ummmph I like about bikes. If I was to get another bike other than the brp now, it would be the ktm 525.

Good luck with your choice. Both great bikes.

Well, I've decided which bike to buy. It's going to be the XR650R. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my thread. Weighing all the benefits of each bike, I would rather lose some performance to gain more reliability. Not that the CRF is unreliable, it just requires more attention.

Thanks again. ?

Well, I've decided which bike to buy. It's going to be the XR650R. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my thread. Weighing all the benefits of each bike, I would rather lose some performance to gain more reliability. Not that the CRF is unreliable, it just requires more attention.

Thanks again. :D

You won't be losing any performance.The 650r is no slouch. Its just a different kind of power. In my opinion you have made the correct decision for the type of riding you have described. ?