KTM headlight switch

8 replies to this topic
  • Snow Drift

Posted June 02, 2016 - 04:39 PM

Hi everyone

I know that I have previously posted in this forum about switch gear to wire up the headlight but I never actually got round to doing this. I have recently been thinking about doing this and been looking at used switch gear on ebay again for my WR450 2007.

I was going to go for one of those tusk style enduro switches on the left and then a road bike run, stop, start switch off a road bike on the right of the bars. I thought the tusk style one looked a little thinner than the normal road bike headlight switches.

Recently though I came across the CEV style KTM switches and thought this would be a good idea. This switch seems to have headlight, indicators, horn, and kill switch all on the left hand switch and means I could just leave the electric start switch for the right hand side of the bars (instead of a large switch on the right).

I have posted in the KTM sub-forum on TT as I thought they may be able to give me some more input on what these switches are like but I'm not getting much of a response. Has anybody had a KTM and know the switches I'm talking about. The measurements seem to show it is quite large but that might not matter on the left side? I guess the biggest problem would be the hot start lever, but doesn't this need raising anyway with any headlight switch on the left?

Any input would be helpful as I'm just going by ebay images at the moment.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.u...8483&rmvSB=true

• Nathh

Posted June 02, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Your post is really confusing to read but from what I understand you're trying to put a ktm handlebar switch on a WR.

Why not just use a WR handlebar switch? Its not like having the start/stop switch on the right is really that big of a inconvenience.

heres one: http://www.ebay.co.u...zp0zKw5dfcyfk1g

Also I don't understand why you'd need to raise the hot start lever, I never needed to raise mine with the stock WR handlebar switch.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 02, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Pin it out yourself using a multimeter

KTM does not make the switch in question, but Sicass racing makes it's replacement, and it's even better.

I am assuming you are reffering to the 'bar cluster' switch with turns, high/low, lights on/off, and horn.

I prefer the XL250S Honda switch myself.

Push button canceling, and it will hold up to a fall.

The KTM cluster is not very durable.

• foggy3061

Posted June 03, 2016 - 03:36 AM

Hi everyone

I know that I have previously posted in this forum about switch gear to wire up the headlight but I never actually got round to doing this. I have recently been thinking about doing this and been looking at used switch gear on ebay again for my WR450 2007.

I was going to go for one of those tusk style enduro switches on the left and then a road bike run, stop, start switch off a road bike on the right of the bars. I thought the tusk style one looked a little thinner than the normal road bike headlight switches.

Recently though I came across the CEV style KTM switches and thought this would be a good idea. This switch seems to have headlight, indicators, horn, and kill switch all on the left hand switch and means I could just leave the electric start switch for the right hand side of the bars (instead of a large switch on the right).

I have posted in the KTM sub-forum on TT as I thought they may be able to give me some more input on what these switches are like but I'm not getting much of a response. Has anybody had a KTM and know the switches I'm talking about. The measurements seem to show it is quite large but that might not matter on the left side? I guess the biggest problem would be the hot start lever, but doesn't this need raising anyway with any headlight switch on the left?

Any input would be helpful as I'm just going by ebay images at the moment.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.u...8483&rmvSB=true

I have used the CEV switches as seen on KTMs on a wr before. They do the job but arent the best, they corrode internally quite easily (probably due to the UK weather) - you can avoid this by packing them with silicon grease. I didnt use the kill function as the standard wr waterproof kill switch is a better part and more reliable!

KTM%20CEV%20Switch%20Part%2050311070000_

As for wiring it, the ligts horn and kill pin outs acn been seen on most KTM wiring diagrams (towards the top left):

KTM%20wiring_zpsvyujjafs.png

In the end i removed the CEV switch for a AD switch (i dont have indicators, only lights and horn) which is much narrower and better at keeping water out - neater on the bar too.

20141115_140619_zpsgrfzmoi1.jpg

Edited by foggy3061, June 03, 2016 - 03:37 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Snow Drift

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:39 AM

Nathh - Yes I am trying to chose which switch to use for the headlights and whether to have another on the right hand side of the bars for starting/kill or whether to keep the stock switches already in place. I was just working out my options to keep the bars as clutter free as possible I find the stock road bike switches quite chunky but I haven't seen any in real life.

KRANNIE - If I don't go with the KTM switch then I was going to go for one similar to the sicass racing one. I don't think we have the sicass racing switch over in the UK but there is a similar looking one sold on ebay.

Foggy - I have bought a rear light that looks the same as the stock light but with built in turn signals and I was going to purchase the zeta hand guards with built in flasher turn signals. I therefore would like to have a cluster that has an indicator button. I thought the KTM switch might be quite good because I would basically have that on the left and just the electric start on the right of the bars. If that really isn't a good idea then I was probably going to go for these two switches. I am just trying to choose ones that have the slimest profile and least interference.

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=322131876022

http://www.ebay.co.u...6kAAOSw5VFWH2Oh

What do you think?

Edited by Snow Drift, June 04, 2016 - 06:40 AM.

• foggy3061

Posted June 04, 2016 - 10:16 AM

Foggy - I have bought a rear light that looks the same as the stock light but with built in turn signals and I was going to purchase the zeta hand guards with built in flasher turn signals. I therefore would like to have a cluster that has an indicator button. I thought the KTM switch might be quite good because I would basically have that on the left and just the electric start on the right of the bars. If that really isn't a good idea then I was probably going to go for these two switches. I am just trying to choose ones that have the slimest profile and least interference.

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=322131876022

http://www.ebay.co.u...6kAAOSw5VFWH2Oh

What do you think?

I think that LH switch gear looks a better option than the KTM/CEV switch. Plus it looks narrower than the KTM/CEV switch which is about 45mm wide.

As for the RH switch, it should do fine, that type of switch lasts well in all weathers on Yamaha's other road bikes and adventure bikes.

• Snow Drift

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for your advice on this. Can you tell me whether you have had any issues with clearance for either the left or right switch gear. On the right there seems to be the two cable guides just off the throttle that could cause clearance issues and on the left the hot start lever?

• foggy3061

Posted June 09, 2016 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for your advice on this. Can you tell me whether you have had any issues with clearance for either the left or right switch gear. On the right there seems to be the two cable guides just off the throttle that could cause clearance issues and on the left the hot start lever?

The RH Yamaha switch gear you're thinking of using should clear the throttle cables no problem, like so (one of your previous threads):

http://www.thumperta...hts/?p=12231316

The hot start should be ok too as the lever sits more forward on the perch and the clutch perch is often run further inboard on the bars to get better leverage on the clutch lever (see my photo above).

• toten

Posted June 10, 2016 - 08:53 AM

I've had problems with interference between the clutch lever and the switch assembly on my WR when I tried to install an ASV perch. Don't have pics handy though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.