YZ426 oil filters

7 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted June 01, 2016 - 12:46 PM

I just picked up a couple filters for my 426. They appear to be brass mesh rather than the paper filters that I'm used to. Is there anything wrong with using them? Is there a better alternative I should consider? 

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2016 - 02:27 PM

Yes there is something wrong, although, ironically, those really are the correct original filters.  The problem is that they don't really filter very well.  The brass mesh only filters down to an absolute level of about 80 microns, over twice as large a particle size as allowed by a Scotts, which filters to 35 microns, and which has set the standard for other stainless mesh filters.  The paper filters were introduced for the '03 and later YZ450F and WRF models. 

"Paper" filters work differently, than mesh, and will at the same time catch particles smaller than the Scotts, but also allow some of the particles larger than those allowed by brass mesh to pass. 

More: http://www.thumperta...-2#entry3831885

• toten

Posted June 02, 2016 - 01:10 PM

I had previously read that original were brass, didn't know if aftermarket were. 

What paper filter will fit? If it's the same one as my WR that sure would be convenient. I'd rather go with paper than a Scotts, even though the Scotts has some advantages. Making sure it's actually clean is difficult, so there are downsides too (I don't have a parts cleaner).

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2016 - 01:27 PM

The paper filters do fit.  One filter part number will service all YZF models from '98 to at least '13. 

There is also nothing to worry about as far as getting a Scotts clean as long as you keep the dirt and dirty cleaning solvent out of the inside of it.  Anything that the steel mesh catches will stay caught, as it will either fit through the mesh or it won't.  Paper filters can stop smaller stuff, but at the same time, they let some of the bigger stuff through, and can release a previously trapped particle. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted June 03, 2016 - 01:06 PM

I'm surprised that anyone still makes the brass filters in that case. 

HiFlo lists:

WR/YZ 400/426 142

03-08 WR450 141

03-08 YZ450 141

09-16 WR450 140

09-16 YZ450 140

K&N's web site requires you look up individual bikes, but spot checking shows the same. I believe the 142 is the brass filter, I wonder what the difference is between the 141 and the 140. 

• grayracer513

Posted June 04, 2016 - 09:35 AM

The '09 listing with the later bikes is interesting, because the filters that fit the '98 - '08 bikes are essentially identical to the '09, and the filter well design did not change until '10.  In 2010, the filter was flipped over; in the old bikes, oil enters the filter form outside, flows into and out of the filter at the outboard end, into the cover and then into two oil passages to feed the engine.  On the '10 and later, the same filter flows the same way except that the flow out of the filter to the engine is on the inboard end, and no longer flows through the filter cover. 

The difference in listing probably represents a change in the specified media used in the filter element.  It's not a matter of dimension.

• mike_dean

Posted June 14, 2016 - 08:31 AM

I use the Hi Flo filters , have the HF141 and HF142 in front of me now, I have a '00 YZ426 and an '06 YZ450. The HF141 looks like red paper, the HF142 looks like very fine brass mesh, the gasket on the hole end of the HF141 is larger than the HF142, otherwise all the same dimensions.

• toten

Posted June 14, 2016 - 01:55 PM

I have a 141 and a 142 around too. I'll have to buy a 140 and take a look at it too. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.