12-16 Yz 450f Best handler

7 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted May 31, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Im going to buy my first used 450 YZINGER Ive had many, however I've never had a FI model. My plan was to buy a clean used 450 and put the GYTR head and cam on it. My question is which YZ out of the FI models handle best?

• hondaman331

Posted June 01, 2016 - 02:18 AM

I think 14 and 15's are better then 10-13, but all of them good. I would save the money on the head, inspect top and bottom end then if all checks out spend that on suspension and chassis mods

• stevethe

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:18 AM

The 14-16 should be your go to model. Make sure you thoroughly ride your YZ prior to adding GYTR head and cams. The bikes rip even without the GYTR head and cams.

• grayracer513

Posted June 01, 2016 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, 57 HP is usually enough for most folks without dropping another dime on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GHILL28

Posted June 01, 2016 - 09:05 AM

The bike is plenty powerful.  Unless you weigh 300#, you won't be needing more power out of it.  Adding any more compression or aggressive settings with different piston/head will only reduce the longevity of the motor.

The '15 was pretty much the optimum year for handling in my opinion.  I think they took a step backwards in 16 with the handling (triple clamp offset).  Seems to be a much narrower range of sag settings and fork heights that work well with the new model.

• hondaman331

Posted June 01, 2016 - 05:44 PM

The bike is plenty powerful. Unless you weigh 300#, you won't be needing more power out of it. Adding any more compression or aggressive settings with different piston/head will only reduce the longevity of the motor.

The '15 was pretty much the optimum year for handling in my opinion. I think they took a step backwards in 16 with the handling (triple clamp offset). Seems to be a much narrower range of sag settings and fork heights that work well with the new model.

I got the 16, 100mm sag, forks up 5mm. I just came off an 08 crf450r and this bike handles much much better stock. I had a bit of money in the honda suspension and thought it was the best but then I got the yz and after setting the bars in the forward holes but back in clamps, I got comfortable quick. The thing is a rocketship, I will keep my bike bone stock.

• bigvaportrail

Posted June 07, 2016 - 05:30 AM

Ok brethren all I know is for the 10-13 gen models 100 mm of sag is huge.
I just put on a 5.9 factory connection spring vs stock and was able to get my beloved 100 mm of sag and WOW !

Do yourselves a favor with the best stock suspension period and set your sag proper.
It made my front end more planted after and it's the little things that make a huge difference
Springs are easy to change out so set your race sag and you will love it even more

• hondaman331

Posted June 10, 2016 - 10:59 AM

How many hours are the 14-16 yz450f getting on bottom ends and top ends?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.