2015 WR450 overheating

27 replies to this topic
  • vlxjim

Posted June 01, 2016 - 02:07 PM

Try my map.Your bike will run cooler and smoother. With this set up there is no red header. I'm riding in the hot desert and mountain areas.  Everyone that has tried it loves it so far. I get PM's all the time about it. Try it, it just works.

CO 15

Vlxjim Map

Fuel         Timing

3  4  4      0   0   0

3  5  3     -2  -1  0

3  4  3     -2  -2  0

• Kidrman

Posted June 01, 2016 - 03:19 PM

Quite a bit if additional fuel and less timing. I can see where that would cool it down.

Thank you!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 01, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Try my map.Your bike will run cooler and smoother. With this set up there is no red header. I'm riding in the hot desert and mountain areas.  Everyone that has tried it loves it so far. I get PM's all the time about it. Try it, it just works.

CO 15

Vlxjim Map

Fuel         Timing

3  4  4      0   0   0

3  5  3     -2  -1  0

3  4  3     -2  -2  0

I like the looks of your map, will probably give that a try.  What kind of mpg do you get?  I've been through a number of different maps (never leaner than zeros on the fuel), but in almost all cases I end up with about 27mpg, which is pretty bad.  My '08 WR easily got 35 or more uncorked with a JD kit.  Most people I have talked with have said they get much better mileage than I do on the same bike.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 01, 2016 - 04:53 PM

I bought a 2015 brand new and I am having trouble keeping it cool. I am a very new rider so admittedly am slow. I also ride slow single track. I have switched to engine ice and have a trail tech fan kit on order. The bike is already uncorked with a gytr ecu and Fmf pipe.

Any other cost effective suggestions to keep it cool? This will be a dedicated snow bike after this summer.

Mine is a 2012, which I think is the same.  Definitely try to get it programmed with some more fuel at the lower rpm range.  I can still boil mine over if I run singletrack through a rocky wash in first gear for an extended time, but these 4 strokes run very hot anyway.  I have had unibikers on my last bike and they do not flow as well as the stock plastic guards, but keep those on if you have them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kidrman

Posted June 01, 2016 - 05:12 PM

They should be the same.

I now have the water pump and fan on the way so I should be good.

I wouldn't take the rad guards off on a bet with the amount of stuff I hit.

I will try more fuel if the fan and water pump dont cure me. I'm trying to avoid purchasing the programmer.

• michale

Posted June 02, 2016 - 10:44 AM

The 2016 comes stock with 2 fans. Not sure the cost difference between stock and after market. I will hear them kick on every once in a while. I'm wondering why Yamaha got rid of the coolant overflow tank.

• vlxjim

Posted June 02, 2016 - 09:50 PM

Reports go with my finding of 35mpg. 

You need the programer the stock base map is to lean for the FMF pipe. And with the programer you can see the real time RPM so that you can set it at 2000 RPM. Trust me you will love my map if you don't you can set it back or to something else. But most all that have tried it keep it.

• Kidrman

Posted June 04, 2016 - 09:13 PM

Installed the Boyesen supercooler yesterday and the bike ran much cooler today. It was around 80 but we were on open trails so not a huge test. Fan arrives Monday and then will get back to the tight single track.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.