Kick start locked up! Need some help!

26 replies to this topic
  • RDub12

Posted June 01, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Alright guys got the head off. Here are some pictures. Looks like there was contact but very light. Probably from me kicking it when it first died. What do you guys thing? Whats my next step? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464832250.010834.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464832274.603947.jpg

• 0bigsilver6

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Since you have the head off, do the solvent test, if they still seal, I feel like it's probably ok. Gray would be much better to answer at this point as I've never had personal experience with this. Sorry.

• RDub12

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:49 PM

Your input has been much appreciated silver! I agree with you, i think it's probably ok. Ill do a solvent test tomorrow. Im assuming a shop wouldnt be able to test the valves if i brought them the head? Or they would probably just do a solvent test too? Also, is it recommended to resurface the head before re-install? Or would a good cleaning do? I got new gaskets ordered.

I figure i may as well ask you all and get it done right the first time rather than a shot in the dark. I appreciate both of your speedy responses!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 0bigsilver6

Posted June 02, 2016 - 04:20 AM

I'm not positive how a shop would test them with the head off the bike. But save yourself the money, the solvent test will tell you what you need to know. As far the the head, when I did mine, I just cleaned it very well. You can check it for flatness with a straight edge and resurface as needed, but if you weren't having issues with a leaky head before its most likely ok.

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2016 - 10:17 AM

Stand the head on its exhaust port and fill the intake with solvent.  The most you want to see is the edges of the valves turn wet after a few seconds.  Anything faster and they've been bent. 

The valves themselves are not serviceable, so if they are damaged in any way, they need to be replaced and the seats refinished by a machine shop. 

• RDub12

Posted June 05, 2016 - 02:22 PM

Had some time today to wrench on the bike. Tested the valves, all looked good. Put it all back together with a new timing chain and tensioner, fired up on the first kick.

My bike was not a one kick bike when i bought it, but it is now! I think Gray's theory was correct about the bike sitting for so long, making the timing chain rust and stick, causing the chain to bind and jump time. It was larger than the new one and certainly had sticky links. Thank you guys for all the help!

• 0bigsilver6

Posted June 05, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Had some time today to wrench on the bike. Tested the valves, all looked good. Put it all back together with a new timing chain and tensioner, fired up on the first kick.

My bike was not a one kick bike when i bought it, but it is now! I think Gray's theory was correct about the bike sitting for so long, making the timing chain rust and stick, causing the chain to bind and jump time. It was larger than the new one and certainly had sticky links. Thank you guys for all the help!

Wonderful! Glad it all worked out!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.