Bearing parts in 14' YZ450 oil screen

Brand Yamaha Brand Peer Bearing

35 replies to this topic
  • drtrcr400

Posted May 29, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Looks allot like the shift detent bearing. You haven't posted any pictures of that side of your engine.

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2016 - 11:17 AM

Water pump. No?

• bk29

Posted May 30, 2016 - 05:47 PM

A buddy of mine had a intermittent starting problem on his Honda. It turned out to be a airbox fastener in his intake port. Disgruntled assembly line worker was the only logical explanation we could come up with. I would put it back together and trade it in on a new bike.

• jethro450

Posted May 31, 2016 - 11:11 AM

Water pump. No?

Nope.  That bearing was still there and in great shape.  That was my original thought though.

• jethro450

Posted May 31, 2016 - 11:13 AM

A buddy of mine had a intermittent starting problem on his Honda. It turned out to be a airbox fastener in his intake port. Disgruntled assembly line worker was the only logical explanation we could come up with. I would put it back together and trade it in on a new bike.

See!  It can happen!  This is my strongest theory right now.

I actually put the thing back together and went and rode it yesterday afternoon.  It runs great.  Sounds great. 

I am going to give the pieces to a local shop and let them think about it for a while, but I'm not going to worry about anymore. 

• GHILL28

Posted May 31, 2016 - 11:15 AM

How many hours on the thing?

• jethro450

Posted May 31, 2016 - 11:17 AM

I should mention also, I called the original owner and asked him about the oil screen.  He's not the "maintain" kinda guy I guess as he had never pulled the oil screen once.  He said he thought about it though, does that count?  So who knows how long the pieces had been in there?  At least pretty much ALL the pieces were there... 

I couldn't find any marks or damage in the motor at all, everything looked great.  The only thing I did while in there was shim one of the intake valves from 0.0055" to 0.007"

• jethro450

Posted May 31, 2016 - 11:21 AM

Looks allot like the shift detent bearing. You haven't posted any pictures of that side of your engine.

I forgot to reply to you too.  I did check and recheck this side as well.  The shift detent bearing is actually a roller - and it was there.

How many hours on the thing?

Not sure - GYTR tuner in the mail and I'll find out this week.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TN Dirt Rider

Posted May 31, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Man, you win the luckiest guy award if that thing didn't belong in the motor and didn't damage anything.  Hoping for the best!

• jethro450

Posted June 01, 2016 - 04:52 PM

Took a second look, you are the winner!! It tricked me before because the inner race of the bearing is still there. I should have known that cause the inner race wasn't in all the bearing parts, and I thought I had them all. Here's the best pic I could get with just the clutch cover off. $12 and I'll be back in business.

The lever secured by a Phillips screw/bolt is the culprit. On the right end of that lever there should be a bearing. There's just a round nub.

Funny thing is, I thought the bike shifted nice and smooth as compared to my 08 Honda. I guess it'll be even smoother when I fix it. My faith in the China assembly boys is restored... Ha ha

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464828684.563445.jpg

• drtrcr400

Posted June 01, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Glad you found it! When you order your replacement get the one for the '15-'16 models. They don't use the ball bearing so you won't have to worry about this again. I updated mine at about 110 hours. Hopefully Yamaha has eliminated all of the old style ones by now.

• GHILL28

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Been meaning to do this update to mine as well the next time I change the coolant.  inner clutch cover has to come off, right?

• drtrcr400

Posted June 01, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Been meaning to do this update to mine as well the next time I change the coolant. inner clutch cover has to come off, right?

Yes it does. You also have to remove the clutch basket as well.

• GHILL28

Posted June 01, 2016 - 08:12 PM

So shift link shaft comes out, then take off the 10mm hex?  That it?

• jethro450

Posted June 11, 2016 - 04:49 PM

I went on vacation so I haven't had a chance to do it yet, but yes, it's an easy fix. Wish I would have known to get the newer part earlier. I suppose I could call the dealer and tell them to send back the other and get me the right one still

• jethro450

Posted June 11, 2016 - 05:02 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1465693251.152131.jpg

Looks like only the 16's have a new style. You guys sure the 16 part will fit the 14? I'm definitely in favor of removing that ball bearing if possible. I guess it's not there right now anyways ha ha

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 YZ 250F Electrical problems. by jase12

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz 144 keeps blowing inner head gasket, whyyyyyy by Yz144 2000

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 11 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR stator & Rotor by NWsurfkid

Electrical Lighting Stator Systems Yamaha WR stator & Rotor, Brand Yamaha
  • 1 review
  • Last review by NWsurfkid
  • On November 27, 2016
Forums
Photo

If not a YZ, then what...? by rpt50

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  45 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.