Biodegradable No Toil Air Filter Oil - Anyone else have problems?

They are both biodegradable. The red contains alcohol so it sets up quicker. The green has no alcohol and won't eat glue like the red does on some filters. It is recommended to dry overnight and I believe it's water based. I tried the green once and thought the red was much tackier. I can't get the red stuff off my hands without using the cleaner or solvent. 

Original (red) No-Toil works great. They screwed the pooch when they came out with the green stuff though.

Screwed the pooch seems about right. Appreciate the insight into the differences between the two products though. A friend of mine that I recommended the stuff to has been using the red stuff so I will definitely mention to stay on that path. 

Some of the new design Yamahas have a service bulletin and a kit designed for sand riding. I am unsure of the 250s, but I had a friend buy a new 450 a 2012or13 I believe. He bought the bike mew with a paddle tire installed by the dealer. His engine went south very quickly. The dealer gave him the run around even after the rep inspected the bike. At first the dealer and rep would not pay for the repairs. The customer then showed them a copy of the service bulletin. They still tried to get out of repairing the bike for free even though the dealer specifically set it up for dune riding.

Once he got the local news involved, they paid for repairs and he only had to pay for the update kit.

Like I said, this was a. 450, but may be worth looking into.

So is the consensus that the no toil filter or oil or both is no good?

There is no consenus.

Some people just don't like No-Toil because it's different.

The filters leave something to be desired for me. The fit hasn't been great on the bikes I've used them on. But they filter fine. The green stuff and the grease is a waste of time. Red with no grease here.

Edited by ubu
  • Like 2

There's a known engine builder who has stated that the motors he has worked after running notoil showed a lot more wear in general. 

There's a known clutch manufacturer that recommends Rotella oil. 

But we still argue about oil here on TT. 

There's a known clutch manufacturer that recommends Rotella oil. 

But we still argue about oil here on TT. 

Shell needs to get smart and show a picture of a KDM riding whoops off into the sunset on the front of their oil bottle. Then maybe it'll make Ronnie Mac types interested in this badass oil. ?

• Like 1

Hi everyone. Hoping to get some feedback on others' experiences with no toil air filter oil. Here's the scoop.

I've used Bel-Ray air filter oil since I was taught how to prep an air filter years ago. Since that day, I've had four bikes over the course of the last 8 years and have never had a bike blow up or have any dirt get past the filter, no matter the conditions. A few months back, I spent some time riding out in Ohio where a friend of mine mentioned that he had great luck with using the biodegradable no toil air filter oil and grease and that it made cleaning filters boatloads easier. I figured I would give it a shot and after the first use I was hooked because of how easy cleaning filters became (no toil powder and warm water). After using it on my '11 CRF450 filters for several months, I was very satisfied and even did some recommending of my own on the stuff. I decided to part ways with the 450 and bought a brand new '14 YZ250 when I came home to Massachusetts. Well, my YZ didn't last more than 4.7 hours before she blew and low and behold, sand got past the filter and had some fun in the cylinder. So my question is, has anyone else had problems with the biodegradable no toil filter oil that I'm mentioning? In my own opinion, I'm thinking that the hard packed Ohio dirt made for great air filter results upon my initial experiences with the product, but the fine sand of the tracks here in MA had something else in store for putting the oil to the test. Since my bike blew and I've sought out every opinion I can from other riders, I'm getting "Oh yeah that no toil stuff is junk" and I'm wondering if others can attest to that. I know some may say "well maybe you didn't grease enough or oil enough"  or "maybe the oil settled to the bottom of the filter cause it sat" but I can assure you the filter (which was done the day of my ride) was oiled and greased just as well as any filter I've done over the last 8 years. Just looking to hear others' results! Thanks in advance!

(This is the result. 4.7 hours.... this hurts)

📎IMG_0990.JPG

📎IMG_0991.JPG

I do not see dirt concentrating on one section of the cylinder/piston.

Which no toil? Red or Green? Liquid or spray on?

If you saw the evidence of sand then I'll take your word for it.

We're using the green or red No-Toil? And what kind of filter was it?

I've been using the red No-Toil (the green IS garbage) and Twin Air filters for years without problems. Even in super dusty desert races. I found out No-Toil eats the glue on Uni filters.

Red is junk, alcohol base eats the glue on the filters. Since I switched to green my filters last much longer before separating.

Green will settle a little but red will completely settle to the bottom.

Edited by PPG Real Estate
  • Like 1

Red is junk, alcohol base eats the glue on the filters. Since I switched to green my filters last much longer before separating.

Green will settle a little but red will completely settle to the bottom.

Red doesn't eat glue on NoToil, Twin Air, ProX, factory KTM, or factory Yamha filters. Used them all. Only filter I've damaged with No-Toil was a UNI.

Red may settle after a month or so. But at least it's tacky.

Edited by ubu
  • Like 1

Shell needs to get smart and show a picture of a KDM riding whoops off into the sunset on the front of their oil bottle. Then maybe it'll make Ronnie Mac types interested in this badass oil. ?

Rotella-T. T is for thumper, right?

I'm sure they do just fine selling to OTR rigs that go a million+ miles.

We'd have to pay more for the MC logo, you know.

• Like 1

I gave the green stuff a try once. Applying it was easy and did not get sand past the filter, which was a twin air. Problems started, when I tried to clean it. I did not have the cleaning power of notoil. So that's probably the culprit. But everyone told me washing powder is the same. Tried it in the washing machine, with hot water by hand, then got mad and used different fuels. Nothing removed the sticky stuff and properly cleaned it. The filter became very hard and felt strange. Won't use it again, but it is probably my fault because I didn't use the cleaning powder.

• Like 1

I gave the green stuff a try once. Applying it was easy and did not get sand past the filter, which was a twin air. Problems started, when I tried to clean it. I did not have the cleaning power of notoil. So that's probably the culprit. But everyone told me washing powder is the same. Tried it in the washing machine, with hot water by hand, then got mad and used different fuels. Nothing removed the sticky stuff and properly cleaned it. The filter became very hard and felt strange. Won't use it again, but it is probably my fault because I didn't use the cleaning powder.

Oxy clean.

• Like 2