Might be looking at a 99 Wr400

This would be my oldest sons bike, what should I be looking for. Any tips would be helpfull.

Also, my son (14 years old and already 6' tall) will be moving from a XR 100 ?, I know this is a big jump, but he is killing his XR and I want something that will fit him for a few years.

Bad or good idea??

Thanks

This would be my oldest sons bike, what should I be looking for. Any tips would be helpfull.

General used bike purchasing tips or those specific to that bike?

I like to take a good, long look at the bike, and THEN ask the owner about usage, maintenance, and hours. If what he says doesn't agree w/ what I saw I walk away.

Good observations that help you with this owner credibility test:

Kickstart wear as an indicator of overall hours.

Frame rail wear as an indicator of a lot of MX use.

Divergent component wear, i.e. new looking plastic, but floppy footpegs. If you see something like this ask, "has the plastic been replaced?"

Wear on oil filter cover bolts and seat bolts indicate a lot of filter changes.

None of this is really bad in and of itself, but I consider it a bad sign if what I'm seeing and what the seller is saying are not the same thing.

Also, my son (14 years old and already 6' tall) will be moving from a XR 100 ?, I know this is a big jump, but he is killing his XR and I want something that will fit him for a few years.

Bad or good idea??

I hesitate to comment because I probably tend to err on the side of overkill. But hopping off an XR 100 and onto a WR???

One is a playbike. One is a race bike.

OTOH you should know your 14 yr. old's ability better than anybody, but whatever experience he gained on the tiny XR isn't going to help him w/ the WR. Having said that I wouldn't consider a 125 MXer much less of a challenge in many cases. But the WR is very heavy and very powerful compared to a 125. Extending this analysis to the XR 100 is making my head spin a bit...

Hope this helps.

Well, I'll chime in since I have a 99 WR400. First, everytime I ride the bike I come home thinking to my self "self, I love this bike". Maintenance is minimal, it always starts easy, and has never stranded me. Always looks good after a bath, even when I've ridden it hard. Parts availablility is awesome since there are so many of em, not to mention the compatible parts with the yz's.

I am 28 though. 6'1" and 215 lbs. I think you know his skill better than us. But, I came off of a xr250 and I thought that was a big jump. Just make sure he gets used to it before he grabs a handful of xr100 throttle. He'll love the bike when he grows into it.

Don't know what you're looking to spend, but I paid $3200 for mine last March. It was absolutely spotless. I'm thinking $2500-$2800 would be reasonable depending upon wear.

Wow, thanks for the input guys. The owner has been pritty clear/honest as to the history of the bike, it has been ridden, and has new plastic. He is asking $3800, in :D dollars. Which would be around $3000 :D, I will obviously not offer full asking price.

About my son riding this bike and just coming from a XR100, I guess he will have to learn self control now:LOL:. He has no problem going from the XR to my KLX, so who knows ? . ALso, he NEVER rides without me :D

Here is a link to the description of the bike.

CLick me . Just make sure you read the whole first post before you think this guy is a moron :D

Your Son will love it!!!!!

And heel wipe the floor with you on a klx !!!

Just emagine a KLX without the lose feel,small seat,positive stearing,and twice as much power !!

Two Months and you Will Buy BLUE. ?

Good luck have fun !!

I also picked up a super clean yz400f (99)and its the most awsome bike i've owned.Im 41 years old and still like wicked horsepower.The bike took some getting used to but anything you get him will be a learning curve.Its all about trottle control. I can remember jumping off my first dirt bike a 88 xr 250 totally stock onto a ktm 500 2 stroker my feet flew off the pegs alot at first but man what a fun bike.Id say get it they are awsome,Good luck pete m