Anyone put a WR tranny in a 2014-2016 YZ 450?

10 replies to this topic
  • JonL515

Posted May 23, 2016 - 08:47 AM

I am at a bit of a crossroads with my bike.  I have done just about everything I can to turn it into a woods bike.  I have the fly wheel weight on it, suspension, 18 in rear, tuned it, etc. The problem is I can only do so much with the gearing.  I have been debating getting a FX just for the tranny that comes with them.  Has anyone done this upgrade and if so how much was it and are you satisfied with the results?

My end goal is to have a bike the is a FX with out the estart. I wont lie, I would love an e start, but  I just cannot shell out the extra 4k right now to buy one new and I really like the bike I have besides the MX gearing that it has.  I am hoping the getting the FX tranny in it will make it about as close as I can get.

Is this just a pipe dream, or can it be done for a reasonable price?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Swapping in an entire WR/FX gear set will run around $800.  You would need the main shaft (low gear pinion is cut directly on the main shaft), 1st "wheel" (output shaft) gear, and the other 8 gear pairs, plus gaskets, seals, and a set of new snap rings.  You might also have to purchase the output shaft; this is required when swapping an '07-'11 WR box into a '10-'13 because of a spline change on that version of the YZ output shaft.  Check the part numbers on the stuff for the '16 WR/FX, as it may have changed.

Compared to the YZ, you may find that 5th is not very useful off-road unless you lower the final gearing a little.  Then, with that and the FX low gear, you'll find crawling along a much simpler process, although you will need to learn to manage the somewhat jerky nature of a very low gear. 

As far as riding impressions, listen to the opinions of those who have gone from the YZ to an FX, too.  I did a hybrid (YZ 1-3, WR 4&5) swap, which is much less expensive, obviously, and it was exactly what I wanted.  I'm desert racing woth a YZ and running a Rekluse with 13/50 gearing.

• JonL515

Posted May 23, 2016 - 11:15 AM

Swapping in an entire WR/FX gear set will run around $800.  You would need the main shaft (low gear pinion is cut directly on the main shaft), 1st "wheel" (output shaft) gear, and the other 8 gear pairs, plus gaskets, seals, and a set of new snap rings.  You might also have to purchase the output shaft; this is required when swapping an '07-'11 WR box into a '10-'13 because of a spline change on that version of the YZ output shaft.  Check the part numbers on the stuff for the '16 WR/FX, as it may have changed.

Compared to the YZ, you may find that 5th is not very useful off-road unless you lower the final gearing a little.  Then, with that and the FX low gear, you'll find crawling along a much simpler process, although you will need to learn to manage the somewhat jerky nature of a very low gear. 

As far as riding impressions, listen to the opinions of those who have gone from the YZ to an FX, too.  I did a hybrid (YZ 1-3, WR 4&5) swap, which is much less expensive, obviously, and it was exactly what I wanted.  I'm desert racing woth a YZ and running a Rekluse with 13/50 gearing.

I went through both of the parts lists and assembled them on a spread sheet.  I am getting a total of $641.54, but I may be missing something.  One gear,  GEAR, 2ND PINION (15T) is the same in both bikes, can that be reused?  Also, the drive axle assembly , 1SL-17402-00-00, is the same as well. Can that be reused or do I need a new one?   Or is  this is the output shaft you are referring to?   I added all the crank case gaskets I could find, but I do not see any gaskets where the crankcase will be separated?  Is there a gasket here I buy, or is this a liquid gasket applied when the case is put back together? 

I don't plan on attempting this project myself, I figure getting the necessary tools and the potential issues that could arise due to this being my first attempt, I might as well pay someone to do it and not have the headache!

I have attached the spreadsheet if anyone wouldn't mind taking a look and letting me know if I am missing something, that would be very helpful!

• JonL515

Posted May 23, 2016 - 11:19 AM

How do you load a spreadsheet or a PDF file?

Edited by JonL515, May 23, 2016 - 11:40 AM.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 23, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Case halves are sealed with Yamabond, not a gasket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2016 - 01:30 PM

I went through both of the parts lists and assembled them on a spread sheet.  I am getting a total of $641.54, but I may be missing something.  One gear,  GEAR, 2ND PINION (15T) is the same in both bikes, can that be reused?  Also, the drive axle assembly , 1SL-17402-00-00, is the same as well. Can that be reused or do I need a new one?   Or is  this is the output shaft you are referring to?   I added all the crank case gaskets I could find, but I do not see any gaskets where the crankcase will be separated?  Is there a gasket here I buy, or is this a liquid gasket applied when the case is put back together? 

I don't plan on attempting this project myself, I figure getting the necessary tools and the potential issues that could arise due to this being my first attempt, I might as well pay someone to do it and not have the headache!

I have attached the spreadsheet if anyone wouldn't mind taking a look and letting me know if I am missing something, that would be very helpful!

This is why I recommended you to review the parts list for the late bikes. Since the FX and WR are now using the Gen4 engine, there is more interchangeability in the trans parts.  Any parts that bear the same numbers between the YZ-F and the FX-F can be reused if it's in good shape. 

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2016 - 01:31 PM

How do you load a spreadsheet or a PDF file?

Can't upload either of those file types except by scanning them to an accepted image format (jpg. png, etc.)

• JonL515

Posted May 23, 2016 - 01:46 PM

This is why I recommended you to review the parts list for the late bikes. Since the FX and WR are now using the Gen4 engine, there is more interchangeability in the trans parts.  Any parts that bear the same numbers between the YZ-F and the FX-F can be reused if it's in good shape. 

I did, I used the 14 YZ 450 and the 16 450FX.  Same Gen 4 engine.  How many hours would a project like this take?

And from my research, changing the lower gears (1-3) would require the case to be split and is a more intensive undertaking? 

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2016 - 02:44 PM

Changing out any part of the transmission requires the cases to be split.  In a shop environment, it could probably be done in a single day's work, not sure what the labor charge would be. 

• GHILL28

Posted May 24, 2016 - 06:32 AM

Pretty sure I'm going to do a WR 4th and 5th on my '14 450F when I do the rod update.  Really nice that there's no question about interchangeability anymore.  Should run around $200 for the 4th/5th swap.  No problem with the low end gearing, just want some longer legs on top without making it TOO gappy.

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted May 24, 2016 - 09:26 AM

Pretty sure I'm going to do a WR 4th and 5th on my '14 450F when I do the rod update. Really nice that there's no question about interchangeability anymore. Should run around $200 for the 4th/5th swap. No problem with the low end gearing, just want some longer legs on top without making it TOO gappy.

I'm thinking the exact same thing on my '14, I just need some time for my wallet and my mental state to recover from my YZ250 rebuild.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.