Supermoto© Radiator Guards

9 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted March 12, 2004 - 05:55 AM

Anyone know of this brand? A friend led me to this company but I don't see much of anything about their guards. They are decently priced and they have one for the WR. In opinions\feedback are appreciated. I've pretty much decide on Devol or Flatlands but thought these might be worth looking at. Thanks for any info.

http://www.motostran...m/wocorabr.html

• Wicked_Crash

Posted March 12, 2004 - 06:17 AM

They look more like just a radiator brace. The Devol and Flat Land brands are both radiator guards and braces all in one. If you're not worried about raming something through your radiator then you could probably get away with just a brace. IMHO though the Devol or Flat Land radiator guards would be the way to go. It's better to spend $70 on preventing a ripped apart radiator than buying one new radiator for around $250 or a used one off ebay.

At first, I just bought some Zipty radiator braces but on a fall, I cut my right radiator practically in half with a boulder.

• r_dawg1021

Posted March 12, 2004 - 07:38 AM

Good point. Doesnt sound like it's worth the risk just to save $15. Thanks.

• r1superstar

Posted March 12, 2004 - 08:18 AM

They look more like just a radiator brace. The Devol and Flat Land brands are both radiator guards and braces all in one. If you're not worried about raming something through your radiator then you could probably get away with just a brace. IMHO though the Devol or Flat Land radiator guards would be the way to go. It's better to spend $70 on preventing a ripped apart radiator than buying one new radiator for around $250 or a used one off ebay.

At first, I just bought some Zipty radiator braces but on a fall, I cut my right radiator practically in half with a boulder.

What he said. I also have Devols.

• Disco

Posted March 12, 2004 - 10:10 AM

I wouldn’t buy any rad guards except Flatland. I’m a mechanical engineer and from a structural aspect, I believe they are top notch. From a customer service perspective, they are also on top. I asked them to take a look at my guards after they had been on my bike for more than 6 months, and they said yes with no hesitancy and reinforced the welds and a few other items. In my mind, companies who support their products after the purchase are way above those don’t. Again, just my two cents but for the $250 bones per side if you squish a radiatior, I wouldn’t have anything but a Flatllands on my bike.

For a few bones you might save buy going with a cheaper rad guard, you'll probably be kicking yourself when you call the dealer for a new radiator or two.

Hope that helps.

Dan Sommer, P.E.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • r_dawg1021

Posted March 12, 2004 - 12:24 PM

OK, I'll flip a coin Devol or Flatlands. Thanks for the info it helps a lot.

• thelimey1

Posted March 14, 2004 - 10:31 AM

flatlands are very impressive, thick and strong

• yamaha.dude

Posted March 14, 2004 - 11:32 AM

It seems they are selling the Works Connection ones on that page...

Devol or Flatlands are the ones most people seem to be happy with, but then, if these were good, I would look at them as well... sometimes you need to see the item and feel the quality in person... it is hard to look at the gauge of material, the weld quality and the finish from an online store... :)

Once you make the decision on which ones, get your best price at the TT store... They have both the Devol and Flatland - braces and guards...

David

• SBG

Posted March 14, 2004 - 03:01 PM

I'd say Flatlands are the best, but I know they wouldn't have survived this weekends big crash with a boulder if I didn't have the custom gusset work done. Even with everything I had done, they still bent back. Of course I slid out in the mud topping out in 3rd gear, the front slid out, and the guards actually smashed the rock that they hit. The extra gussets worked real good at protecting the radiator. I had to bend them back, but I know now that it was worth the extra $40 for the work I had done. So far, the stock none gusset Flatlands saved my radiator twice, although one side got mushed a bit, and the heavy duty(personal fix) Flatlands saved me from the worst crash yet!

• The_Missile

Posted March 15, 2004 - 07:13 AM

I am about to order the Unabiker. I have devols and they suck. The mounting procedure has them almost mount to the exterior of the radiators themselves, so that any deformation acts pretty much directly on the radiators.....I have the proof through some not so big get offs...mangled my radiator by about 1/2 inch.

In my opinion the way to go is with any brace where the force is first and foremost applied the frame and only if this stanchion fails would you then get radiator damage. See unabiker.com to see what I mean....they have tubes which transfer the force to the frame.

If in Europe, CRD seems to make some kick ass ones.

Also in a swiss dealers store I saw an official Yamaha product for the WR450. It was a serious bit of kit looking sturdier than anything I have seen, but not available for my 98 Wr ....

My Devols were difficult to install too...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.