FX Handlebars

9 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted May 19, 2016 - 02:46 PM

I'm finding that the stock handlebars seem low for me when standing, even in the attack position. So I decided to order some new handlebars. I know a lot of people like the Windham bend, but just under 5'10" I was worried they would be too tall. So I went with the pro taper evo Henry/reed bend.

When I got the new handle bars I could tell right away they almost seemed the same size as stock. I tried to take some pictures to compare. I wasn't about to take them apart with the crap I have on there, but from what I can tell there is very little difference in height. There suppose to be 8 higher then the YZ bend. It didn't look like it to me. Looks like I'll be sending them back and going to Windham.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463697753.727015.jpg

^ Not the greatest picture because i'm not holding it level.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463697772.010273.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463697801.029880.jpg

Just curious, I also notice that these bars would need to be cut a good half inch on both sides to match the stock bars.   I done some MTN Bike riding and wider bars have quite a big benefit.    Do most of you that replace bars keep them same width as stock?  or go to a wider bar? 

Edited by RMK800, May 19, 2016 - 02:57 PM.

• Shelby Johnson

Posted May 19, 2016 - 04:58 PM

I cut 1/2 inch off both sides. By the time you add hand guards back on each bar you gain that half inch back on both sides.

• RMK800

Posted May 19, 2016 - 05:48 PM

I cut 1/2 inch off both sides. By the time you add hand guards back on each bar you gain that half inch back on both sides.

I realize that, but if I didn't cut them at all, is the bike more comfortable to ride?

• KYMXRacer

Posted May 19, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Wider bars give more leverage which can mean easier control and a more stable ride. If you aren't riding tight woods, I'd go as wide as comfortable.

• WouldsAssassin

Posted May 20, 2016 - 10:41 PM

Go to Renthal and Pro-Taper's website. You can view all of the specs of every bar they make and compare it to the stock measurements. When I was looking for taller bars everybody said this or that. The tallest bars were Renthal RC high bend. I bought them they're tall. (They also don't make sense since RC is a midget and would have no need for such a tall handlebar.)

Edited by WouldsAssassin, May 20, 2016 - 10:42 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted May 21, 2016 - 07:25 AM

Go to Renthal and Pro-Taper's website. You can view all of the specs of every bar they make and compare it to the stock measurements. When I was looking for taller bars everybody said this or that. The tallest bars were Renthal RC high bend. I bought them they're tall. (They also don't make sense since RC is a midget and would have no need for such a tall handlebar.)

I did do that. I was comparing everything to the YZ high bend specs. I have heard conflicting reports if the YZ high bend is the stock Yamaha bend. I probably should have called, all I can tell you there wasn't much difference between the Henry/Reed bend then the stock bend except for a little more sweep.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:01 AM

I put the Windhams on my bike, as I have my previous couple bikes as well.  I have a new set of Windham's in the shop, I'll try to get a better comparison pic between the stockers and the Windhams.

• motocrotts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 09:17 AM

I run the Enduro 10 Deg sweep Flexx bars at 30.5" standard height in the far forward pos. on my 450 and the same for my 250 but run the tall bar as the triple clamp doesn't have the adjustably of the F clamp.

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2016 - 10:23 AM

The best way of comparing handle bars is to turn them upside down on a bench and hold them down so that the grip section of both ends is flat against the bench.  The difference in height can be easily measured by going from the clamp area to the bench, or by a direct side-by-side comparison.  You'll also be able to tell how far they come back, etc.

• RMK800

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:51 AM

Wanted to report back. Did add the Windham bend to my bike. I think they will be perfect. When I sit on the bike my forearms are still pointed down. so when I sit in the corners should be fine and obviously standing will be a lot better. Also I'm 5'9". I believe this bend can work for shorter riders, because I was nervous about the height.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464195086.725105.jpg

Edited by RMK800, May 25, 2016 - 08:52 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.