08 stripped drain bolt

6 replies to this topic
  • Yamahajoe292

Posted May 18, 2016 - 06:12 AM

What would be my best fix for this and if I tap it how do I keep from getting metal shavings in my crankcase? I'm leaning towards a heli-coil and I know the motor has gotta come off to get to it so I want to do it right.

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Time-Serts are better for two reasons:

• The tooling in the kit spot faces the top of the drilled hole so that even if you don't drill the hole absolutely square with the original bore, the top surface that the washer will seal to will be square with the new hole so that it can seal properly.
  • They're more durable for bolts such as drains that have to be removed repeatedly.  There's no chance of catching the end of the coiled thread as with a Heli-Coil.

Applying grease to the drill and tap will keep the chips under control.

• Yamahajoe292

Posted May 18, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Time-Serts are better for two reasons:

• The tooling in the kit spot faces the top of the drilled hole so that even if you don't drill the hole absolutely square with the original bore, the top surface that the washer will seal to will be square with the new hole so that it can seal properly.
  • They're more durable for bolts such as drains that have to be removed repeatedly. There's no chance of catching the end of the coiled thread as with a Heli-Coil.
Applying grease to the drill and tap will keep the chips under control.

Awesome, if it's a m10x1.25 bolt what will I have to drill and tap the hole to?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:15 AM

The drill, tap, and spot face tools come with the kit. Probably runs it out to around 12-13, but don't do anything until you get the parts in hand. 

• tmav66

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:30 AM

I took mine to a machine shop charged me 20 bucks and had it done in a hour plus guarantied it for life. I'm pretty good with a wrench but for that price couldn't pass up.

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:32 AM

The kit would cost that much.  Nice.

• Yamahajoe292

Posted May 18, 2016 - 09:32 AM

My main concern is just aluminum shavings getting in the oil, I'm pulling the motor off tonight to make sure I can get a straight line on the hole. It's the drain bold on the right side of the case if your sitting on the bike.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.