WR450F missing when hot

8 replies to this topic
  • mud-dog

Posted May 16, 2016 - 03:58 AM

I have just bought a 03 WR450F, it has low hrs and good service history, I have ridden it twice now and have discovered that it has a horrible miss once I have gone about 10kms and has warmed up at constant throttle, it runs great before this with plenty of power, it had an aftermarket slip on exhaust fitted when I got it wondering if that was the cause I fitted a stock pipe with no change to the fault, I have been through the carb and can't find any problems and all stock jets, I tried with a new fully charged battery 14v stepping up to 14.7v with the engine running and I have disconnected the grey wire.
I have now hit a bit of a wall with it and unsure where to look next and wonder if anyone else has come across this before or has any ideas?
Very tempted to poke it away in the shed and get another Husaberg instead.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 16, 2016 - 04:34 AM

Most likely your stator is failing.

If the bike was run for a long time with the stock pipe and jets, it ran extremely hot, which eventually fries the stator.

Do not run the stock pipe and jets

• folger86

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:15 AM

Also check all your electrical connections on your stator and regulator/rectifier. I had the same problem and the black wire and red wire coming from the rec/reg were pulling out of the connector.

• mud-dog

Posted May 20, 2016 - 04:08 AM

Awesome, Cheers guys I will check it out tomorrow

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mud-dog

Posted May 22, 2016 - 02:39 AM

Well I checked out the stator and everything is within spec according to the manual I even got it hot and rechecked it with no change. Any other ideas I'm fairly confident that it is electrical and not fuel seeing as it only faults when it gets hot, it's strange to in the fact that it is almost like flicking a switch when it starts to play up, is there anything temperature controlled like an optional fan switch? I couldn't see anything
Cheers

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 22, 2016 - 04:59 AM

Well I checked out the stator and everything is within spec according to the manual I even got it hot and rechecked it with no change. Any other ideas I'm fairly confident that it is electrical and not fuel seeing as it only faults when it gets hot, it's strange to in the fact that it is almost like flicking a switch when it starts to play up, is there anything temperature controlled like an optional fan switch? I couldn't see anything
Cheers

So, the stator passed the test....but you still have the coil and rectifier and battery to test. 

If the rectifier were bad, it shouldn't give you those symptoms however...

The stock 2003 must have a working battery to run. A bad cell might be your issue.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted May 22, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Since he said "new fully charged battery" I would suspect that is not the issue.

Based on the info here it sounds like the coil. Have had them go intermittent
before and they test good out of the bike. In the bike it works fine for a
while but when the bike is hot it goes intermittent. Your only sure way to
eliminate the coil as a problem will be to try another coil.

• bigl

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Since he said "new fully charged battery" I would suspect that is not the issue.

Based on the info here it sounds like the coil. Have had them go intermittent
before and they test good out of the bike. In the bike it works fine for a
while but when the bike is hot it goes intermittent. Your only sure way to
eliminate the coil as a problem will be to try another coil.

My previous battery developed a intermittent 'loose cell'  internally.  Probably cracked the internals.

• mud-dog

Posted May 27, 2016 - 04:01 PM

Hi guy, I just want to say thank you for taking the time to drop a line it is very much appreciated.

A bit of an update, I have just replaced the battery as the other one while tested good and seemed to be holding a charge it was corroding one of the terminals quite bad which is a good sign it is leaking around the terminal and the beginning of the end. 

I was wondering about the coil too but at the price of them I want to see if I can find one to borrow first before I commit to buying one.

I might have had a bit of a win yesterday though.... I had the carb out again to fix a weeping gasket, I fitted it back into the bike but while in the middle of this I got interrupted for a while, I came back finished it off and took it for a run and it seemed WAY better (pretty much fixed), so I came home over the moon but not really knowing what I had done and rechecked for leaks from the carb, then I noticed that when I was interrupted I missed plugging the TPS sensor in so I plugged it in went for another ride and faulting again so stopped on the side of the road unplugged it and was good again, when I say good it runs great but is a little flat at light throttle, I came home and checked the TPS with my multi meter and it seems ok but I have had them in cars that test ok with a multimeter but it's not till you use an oscilloscope you can see they are no good. 

So now my next step is to get the tps tested but that will have to wait as I am back to work on monday for three weeks.

Has anyone had problems with the TPS? I guess if that comes bake ok I guess the next thing will be the CDI, I believe they alter the ignition timing depending on throttle position?

Anyway, thanks again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.