Do-it-your-self fork revalving?

7 replies to this topic
  • CBDaddy

Posted March 11, 2004 - 04:37 PM

There are obviously some great companies out there that do an outstanding job on suspension revalving. . . for a cool $150-$170 duckets. Has anyone experimented around with different fork shims themselves? I know my bike inside and out so I am confident in my abilities to work on the forks, but I don't have a clue where to start with changing out shims. Anyone have any experience in this area? I don't suppose there are any retired fork-revalving experts out there that want to give away all the secrets are there?! :)

• Tom14911

Posted March 11, 2004 - 05:27 PM

Prior to having my suspension done professionally, thanks Lindeman Engineering, I used stock fork springs with one shim and an increased oil heigth. I weigh about 205 dry. It worked pretty good but I'm much happier with my new setup.

Tom

• Desracer

Posted March 11, 2004 - 07:41 PM

Check out Race Tech, they have kits you can buy to valve your own forks and shock. I have installed the gold valve kit and found them pretty easy to do. The kits come with the shims and very good how to instructions. If you dont like what you did, you can change it like the factory.

• msgbean

Posted March 12, 2004 - 10:55 AM

Dido on the Gold Valves. Instructions are very good and I now have no problem on the MX tracks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CBDaddy

Posted March 12, 2004 - 12:19 PM

Don't the Gold Valve kits cost about as much as just sending your forks to PRO-ACTION?

• thelimey1

Posted March 14, 2004 - 10:29 AM

140 bucks for a race tech valve with complete instructions.not a bad deal, and their customer service is excellent.

• yamaha.dude

Posted March 14, 2004 - 11:34 AM

Also, check out the Suspension forum here on TT... those guys talk shim stacks and oil weights all day... :)

Good luck,

David

• msgbean

Posted March 15, 2004 - 08:21 AM

Don't the Gold Valve kits cost about as much as just sending your forks to PRO-ACTION?

Yes they cost about the same but you don't learn anything from it. By doing your own it helps you understand how the forks work and you can reshim them any time you think you need a change.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.