Marine Oil in 2012 WR450F?

5 replies to this topic
  • JarvoAUS

Posted May 14, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Posted Today, 12:24 PM

so i have (won in a fishing competition) 4 litres of Valvoline 4 stroke outboard marine engine oil, 10-40w.
My recently bought 2012 wr450f( B) needs an oil change and i would greatly prefer to use this to avoid buying more oil. It is the correct weight and the only thing i am worried about is that it is marine oil. What i am wondering is if it would be safe to use? what difference is it to normal, non-marine oil? the only thing i can think of is that it has more anti corrosive properties in it. correct me if i am wrong as haven't been into bike for long. cheers! food-smiley-005.gif

• shrubitup

Posted May 14, 2016 - 10:03 PM

use it

• JarvoAUS

Posted May 15, 2016 - 12:06 AM

any valid reasons behind saying that?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 15, 2016 - 04:54 AM

It's not that critical.

It will be fine.

Unless the oil is MB rated (on the back of the bottle) or has the terms 'energy saving' 'increased mileage' or some such wordage (meaning it has hyper slippery additives) it will be fine.

• shrubitup

Posted May 15, 2016 - 07:18 AM

It's not that critical.

It will be fine.

Unless the oil is MB rated (on the back of the bottle) or has the terms 'energy saving' 'increased mileage' or some such wordage (meaning it has hyper slippery additives) it will be fine.

And since it's a major brand in the 10W40 formulation it will not be energy or resource conserving oil. 

Check the API "donut" on the back of the bottle. It should not include those labels unlike say a 5W30 or 5W20 automotive focused oil. 

Edit: since you're in Australia you may not have a American Petroleum Institute donut appearing on the rear of your Valvoline marine oil. :smirk:

Edited by shrubitup, May 15, 2016 - 07:20 AM.

• falconjet

Posted May 15, 2016 - 05:36 PM

Snake oil is just as good as fish oil.

Just don't go thinking your bike will float if you use it.

Glug Glug Glug.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.