Sputtering and Popping above 1/2 throttle

• Please sign in to reply

45 replies to this topic
  • csrosenberry

TT Member

48 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Well Damn,

Put about 15 slow miles on the bike. Lots of starting and stopping with the little one. Good thing though was bike was nice and hot going so slow and the air temps were hot too. So far no signs of what it has been doing, but I think I need to get out on a saturday morning or early afternoon with the boys and ride at a normal clip for a few hours to see what happens. But at least I put things back together right as it ran great and I have no charging issures. The down side is I think I might have cracked that side cover after swapping stators. I have oil seeping out very very slow. I thought I heard something while I was putting it back on. Everything was evenly torqued back down, but I think I had a hang up and I am pretty certain I am at fault on this one. Anyone know where to get a good replacement that's not going to cost me a fortune?

Thanks, Chris

• Krannie McKranface
36,688 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 09, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Well Damn,

Put about 15 slow miles on the bike. Lots of starting and stopping with the little one. Good thing though was bike was nice and hot going so slow and the air temps were hot too. So far no signs of what it has been doing, but I think I need to get out on a saturday morning or early afternoon with the boys and ride at a normal clip for a few hours to see what happens. But at least I put things back together right as it ran great and I have no charging issures. The down side is I think I might have cracked that side cover after swapping stators. I have oil seeping out very very slow. I thought I heard something while I was putting it back on. Everything was evenly torqued back down, but I think I had a hang up and I am pretty certain I am at fault on this one. Anyone know where to get a good replacement that's not going to cost me a fortune?

Thanks, Chris

Cracked where, and how badly.....usually repairable.

• csrosenberry

TT Member

48 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 01:11 PM

I think it is cracked up by the upper right hand corner. My best guess is that I didn't have that smaller (2" diameter) area seated correctly or fully when I started tightenting things. Because when it made the "noise" I was tightening that one bolt that is inside and not exposed.

I can't imagine it being terrible but it was enough to leak.

What are the techniques to repair this type of damage.

Thanks, Chris

• Krannie McKranface
36,688 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 10, 2016 - 01:49 PM

I think it is cracked up by the upper right hand corner. My best guess is that I didn't have that smaller (2" diameter) area seated correctly or fully when I started tightenting things. Because when it made the "noise" I was tightening that one bolt that is inside and not exposed.

I can't imagine it being terrible but it was enough to leak.

What are the techniques to repair this type of damage.

Thanks, Chris

Depends on what it looks like.

If you can get the case mating surfaces to go back to sitting flush enough to seal with a gasket, you can just use JB weld to hold the case together.

It's cast magnesium, so it's very difficult to weld...

• csrosenberry

TT Member

48 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 02:05 PM

When I pull it and hopefully find my leak I will try and snap a photo or two and post up.

Thanks, Chris

• csrosenberry

TT Member

48 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 04:41 AM

New Crankcase cover installed..........Leak solved............

Finally got a camping/riding trip in this holiday weekend.

THE STOCK STATOR AND RECTIFIER as of right now have solved my problems. Rode all three days with zero issues. Knock on Wood and fingers crossed my bike is fixed!

I wanted to update the thread for any future references and say THANK YOU to all who helped me out. I am no mechanic and I had little time to work on the bike so my posts and test results were very sporadic. Thank you for sticking in there and helping me out!!

I was one happy camper this weekend!

Cheers, Chris

• Krannie McKranface and bkoz like this
  • Like This

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.