06 wr450 sprocket question

5 replies to this topic
  • garrett.brooks.9

Posted May 14, 2016 - 02:06 PM

Hey all I have a 06 wr450 sumo and have recently decided to see about changing up the sprockets so I can get a better highway rider. When I ride I will be riding highway that's 50 miles + and also want to keep it in the 75mph range without revving the hell out of the bike. Currently I have 14/41 sprockets. Is there any better setup to get the revs down on highway speeds?

thanks

• crash279

Posted May 14, 2016 - 02:22 PM

Hey all I have a 06 wr450 sumo and have recently decided to see about changing up the sprockets so I can get a better highway rider. When I ride I will be riding highway that's 50 miles + and also want to keep it in the 75mph range without revving the hell out of the bike. Currently I have 14/41 sprockets. Is there any better setup to get the revs down on highway speeds?

thanks

Go to a 15t front sprocket.

• garrett.brooks.9

Posted May 14, 2016 - 02:23 PM

Ops I ment I have 15/41 already

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted May 14, 2016 - 02:31 PM

I have 14/40 on my sumo and it's ok on the freeway, I wouldn't want to do sustained 75 though. Obviously your 15/41 is significantly taller.

You can get rear sprockets as small as 36. That would help a reasonable amount (if you have the power to pull it - I haven't tried that). I don't know that any larger than 15 will fit up front, though. You'd probably have some issues with the chain guide, I can't say for sure. 

• garrett.brooks.9

Posted May 14, 2016 - 02:41 PM

Don't think any bigger will fit up front but will say 15/36 make it so slow getting to speed and will it even do in the 70s at that gearing? I'm not worried about power it's got plenty I believe.

• toten

Posted May 14, 2016 - 05:41 PM

Yes, it'll certainly slow it down at lower speed. I think 36 would be excessive, but I'd consider trying 39 or something and seeing how you like it. I don't think it's possible to have a WR that does well at low speed and at 75, so you need to decide where you want to compromise. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.