Help in removal of the balancer!!

4 replies to this topic
  • Scott_Aldahl

Posted March 25, 2002 - 06:04 PM

Hope someone can help. I am trying to remove the balancer from my 2000 426. I have removed everything I need to (I think) and can't seem to slide the balancer out from the left side of the motor. I know I have plenty of room to slide it out but it seems like something is holding it in place. Has anybody done this before and if so what is the trick. In the manual it looks like it should just slide out after removing the nut from the balancer gear and removing the cdi plate. Help Please, Thanks

• Boit

Posted March 25, 2002 - 07:00 PM

What about the key? Doesn't it need to be removed as well?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted March 25, 2002 - 09:13 PM

My guess is that it is a tapered shaft with a keyway. You will probably need a puller of some sort. But I havent done a 426 but a lot of other motors are like that. Good Luck

• Scott_Aldahl

Posted March 26, 2002 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for your replies guys. The manual doesn't say anything about a key. All it says is to line up the center point of the balancer shaft with the center point of the crankshaft and slide it out. Does anybody know who I can call and ask for sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.......

• Dan_YZF

Posted March 26, 2002 - 03:28 PM

There's only one way to remove the counter balancer on a 2000 426, to rotate the part till the center of the balancer weight is aligned with the center of his own shaft and the center of the crankshaft.

In other word, you should be able to trace a straight line with the center of crank, center of balancer shaft and center of the balancer shaft weight itself. If all is aligned that way you'll be able to remove it. (asuming other side gear is off, of course)

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.