07 YZ450F valve replacement

5 replies to this topic
  • ginxed

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:35 AM

I just bought a 07 YZ450F and I was digging into it and I discovered one of the Exhaust valves was sticking open.  I have the head apart and am wodering if I am going to replace the sticky valve do I need to replace all 5 valves or can I just replace the 2 exhaust valves and keep the intakes as they are?

Thanks 

First post Woo-HOO!

• Ryno221

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:37 AM

If one is sticking and you already have the head apart, why not replace everything at once for preventative measure?

• Family Man

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:37 AM

Usually the intake valves wear first. I would send it out and have the seats cut to match the new valves and do the whole head.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:44 AM

You can replace just one valve, but you always need to have the seat(s) of the replaced valve(s) refinished whenever doing so. 

Why wouldn't you do all 5?  The difference between $100 and $475, plus gaskets.  The obvious problem with not doing all of them is that you don't really know how long any of the rest will last unless they are showing wear at near the limit already. 

• ginxed

Posted May 13, 2016 - 11:01 AM

The intake valves look almost brand new but the exhaust ones look like they could be the original valves.

Thanks for the input.

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2016 - 11:06 AM

They could be.  The exhausts and the outer intakes in my '06 are.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.