Fuel mileage for a harescramble

4 replies to this topic
  • Ryno221

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:47 AM

I'm looking at racing the occasional harescramble with my 08 yz450f. It has a stock tank and I was curious if anyone knew how many miles the stock tank would get me or would I have to plan on pitting?

• Conner_Steezel

Posted May 12, 2016 - 12:04 PM

It think it's around 40 miles. Give or take a few depending on how wide open you hold it. Your best bet is to just invest in a desert tank

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Decreasing Dave

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:28 PM

I have clocked it at 50 miles before we had to start worrying about whether we would make it back to the truck.  I just did an hour and a half Desert GP with a 6 mile loop and never stopped for gas on my '06 with a stock tank.  Still had some left in the bottom too.  I had a good lead and started running one gear higher for the last two laps just to make sure I would make it to the flag.

Dave

• Ryno221

Posted May 13, 2016 - 02:42 AM

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. The courses vary from 7-12 mile loops. I'll do so calculations when I get their and plan a pit stop for fuel if needed. I race more motocross so I really don't want to swap out fuel tanks back and forth.

• CSAR FE

Posted May 14, 2016 - 08:28 AM

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. The courses vary from 7-12 mile loops. I'll do so calculations when I get their and plan a pit stop for fuel if needed. I race more motocross so I really don't want to swap out fuel tanks back and forth.

Keep in mind that you don't have to fill the tank all the way up if you don't want to when you race MX. I have a 2.9 gal tank on my 450 and only put about a gallon and a half in it on the track. Gas weighs about 6.3 pounds per gallon. A bigger tank might add approximately 1.5 more pounds in extra plastic as a guesstimate. 

Edited by CSAR FE, May 14, 2016 - 08:28 AM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.