Blown fuse?

5 replies to this topic
  • Hypheriox

Posted May 11, 2016 - 10:14 PM

Okay so here's the issue that I am having. I recently put a keyed ignition on my 03 WR450. When I did that I connected all four wires on the key to ignition To my button ignition that originally comes on the bike. When I did that I think I fried something or blew a fuse. But I don't know where it's at. The issue that I am having. Is even if I put a brand new button ignition on their. It comes factory. The lite on the button will not lite up and my electric start Does not work either. I have to kick start it. Even with a brand new button. So I know it has to be somewhere in the wiring and not with the old button. Where are the fuses or is there a fusible link somewhere in the wire.

• ThrustWasher

Posted May 12, 2016 - 02:39 AM

Have a multimeter?

• L. Euler

Posted May 12, 2016 - 02:49 AM

Can you provide some sort of sketch for the wiring you did.  I had a 03 WR and am familiar with the power button.  Two of the wires are for system power and the other two are for the light in the switch.  There is a potential to connect power directly to ground if you don't wire it correctly resulting in a blown main fuse.  The main fuse is under the seat near the battery.  If your key switch does not have a light then you only need to connect two wires through the switch: red and brown.  If you inadvertently connect red/black to black (the wires for the button light) through the key switch, you will short out the CDI unit which does not have a separate fuse.

Edited by L. Euler, May 12, 2016 - 02:58 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J0nathan27

Posted May 12, 2016 - 03:25 PM

you will need a DVOM meter or a multimeter

• Hypheriox

Posted May 12, 2016 - 04:54 PM

Fixed

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted May 12, 2016 - 05:27 PM

At least you didn't blow a seal............wait for it......... leaves a bad taste in your mouth.............

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.