YZ450FX Startig Issues

18 replies to this topic
  • jayfldog5897

Posted May 11, 2016 - 10:52 AM

I bought a 2016 Yamaha YZ450FX in December.  From day one the electric start would crank the bike fine weather the bike was hot or cold.  Shortly after getting the bike I upgraded the battery to a Shoria which we have been using in other bikes for awhile and have had good results.  A couple of months ago I put a GYTR Radiator Fan on the bike.  From that point on the bike would not crank with the electric start.  You could hear it turning over, but would not fire.  Once the bike was hot it would start every time with the electric start.  Today me and my dad where talking about it and decided to hook the charger up to the battery to see how much of a charge it had.  I raced on Saturday and it cranked with no issues then.  But today the battery was at 25% charge or less.  Now these issues didn't start until I put the cooling fan on.  So my main question is does the GYTR Fan have current going to it all the time and its draining my battery or is there another issue? 

• motocrotts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 12:26 PM

Do you have an electrical meter?  Measure across the fan plug terminals and see if you have 12 volts with the engine off.  I'm assuming the ecu tells the fan when to turn on/off so if it's not running all the time it shouldn't drain the battery.  You may also have a bad battery. I've had bad luck with Shoari in the past and quit using them.

• Jaslater

Posted May 11, 2016 - 12:52 PM

I've had Shorai battery fail on me.

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2016 - 02:14 PM

So my main question is does the GYTR Fan have current going to it all the time and its draining my battery or is there another issue? 

You wired it.  Where does it get power from, and what controls it?

• stevethe

Posted May 11, 2016 - 02:46 PM

If it is like the WR there is a temp sensor in the head plumbing. There should have been a plug and play pig tail off of the wiring harness.
I would guess you just have a bad battery for whatever reason or you wired it into something you shouldn't have.

• Not sponsored

Posted May 11, 2016 - 03:37 PM

Yes it plugs into a plug above the right radiator, i have one on mine with no issues.

• jayfldog5897

Posted May 11, 2016 - 05:10 PM

Yes it's a plug and play system. After the battery sitting on the charger for about 5 hours this afternoon the Shoria charger is saying the battery is bad. So now its time to see if they will replace the battery for free. I'm going to stick the stock battery back in and unplug the fan and see what happens.

• blbills

Posted May 11, 2016 - 05:44 PM

I have measure the fan connector with the bike off.  No voltage.

• RMK800

Posted May 11, 2016 - 06:55 PM

I have had the gytr radiator fan for the last month. No issues at all. I have about 6 rides with the fan, so not a lot of testing, but has started just like new every time.

You also don't wire it! There is a connector already to go. It's on the side of the frame. You remove dummy clip like the gytr tuner and plug in your fan.

I also have a Shoria battery.

Edited by RMK800, May 11, 2016 - 06:59 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayfldog5897

Posted May 13, 2016 - 04:26 PM

Just an update. Put the stock battery back in today and the bike fired right up with no issues. I've been in contact with Shorai. They are taking the battery back to investigate what happened, but it kind sounds like I got a bad battery from them. On the plus side they are going to replace it for free so that's good.

• Jaslater

Posted May 13, 2016 - 07:14 PM

Ya they do have good customer service. I had one replaced too.

• RockerYZWR

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:41 AM

If the product isn't great, the customer service had better be...

• DBills

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:33 PM

I have the 2016 FX, stock battery and I added the fan.  My bike seems to run hot, which prompted me to add the fan.  The fan runs a lot, but stops soon after the bike is stopped or turned off.  I have has zero starting issues or battery issues.  I do have the Shorai  on my WR450 and it works great.

• beezer

Posted May 15, 2016 - 03:45 AM

Just an update. Put the stock battery back in today and the bike fired right up with no issues. I've been in contact with Shorai. They are taking the battery back to investigate what happened, but it kind sounds like I got a bad battery from them. On the plus side they are going to replace it for free so that's good.

I've had 2 of them go bad.

• stevethe

Posted May 15, 2016 - 04:24 AM

I've got at least five year old Shorei battery in one of the bikes doing fine.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 16, 2016 - 05:07 AM

I've got at least five year old Shorei battery in one of the bikes doing fine.

6 years for me

• mobgma

Posted May 16, 2016 - 09:50 PM

I have heard. Only heard that the Shorais do not like to be drawn down unlike a lead acid battery. Maybe that is what happened with the fan?

• jayfldog5897

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:25 PM

We will find out when I get the new one here. I put the stock back in and it fired right up. My dad has a Shorai in his KTM 200 and it can hold a charge for long periods of time with the bike just sitting.

• stevethe

Posted May 18, 2016 - 03:10 PM

I have heard. Only heard that the Shorais do not like to be drawn down unlike a lead acid battery. Maybe that is what happened with the fan?

The fan won't draw the battery down. If or when it comes on its timed to shut off in about a minute after the bike is shut off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.