Yz without spark arrestor stock exhaust. How do they check in California

11 replies to this topic
  • glamisemt

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:04 PM

I bought a 99 yz 400f put the stock exhaust back on and realize it doesn't have a spark arrestor. Can I just make one with a stainless strainer? Will the rangers check the mesh or only probe it. I live in southern California. Ride in El mirage , gorman, glamis and pismo.

• Flagstaff

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:38 PM

I bought a 99 yz 400f put the stock exhaust back on and realize it doesn't have a spark arrestor. Can I just make one with a stainless strainer? Will the rangers check the mesh or only probe it. I live in southern California. Ride in El mirage , gorman, glamis and pismo.

I'm kinda thinking you would want a spark arrestor because it's the right thing to do, but I'm not familiar with your riding areas. Ever see a large forest fire, or the damage?

• glamisemt

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:47 PM

I completely agree on that, my question is if I make my own will it be an issue or how can the rangers tell if I did

• cowboyona426

Posted May 11, 2016 - 05:56 AM

I completely agree on that, my question is if I make my own will it be an issue or how can the rangers tell if I did

Unless you have a stamp or tag that says "USFS approved spark arrestor" you run the risk of getting ticketed.  If you don't have anything stating USFS approved then they will probably run a wire or a stick down the tail pipe to see if they hit a restriction anywhere.

• glamisemt

Posted May 11, 2016 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to put in a legit arrestor myself and hope they don't get me for not having the stamp

• cowboyona426

Posted May 11, 2016 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to put in a legit arrestor myself and hope they don't get me for not having the stamp

Anything you buy aftermarket will be stamped USFS approved somewhere or will come with a tag or sticker.

IMG_20160504_192253331_zpsyf0tabp7.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GHILL28

Posted May 11, 2016 - 07:28 AM

The Southern California Rangers LOVE to sneak up and probe your tailpipe, whether you want them to or not.  Be ready.

• shredmasterz

Posted May 11, 2016 - 05:15 PM

Like space aliens?

• defilmcrew

Posted May 27, 2016 - 10:01 PM

Gorman checks everytime you hit the entrances unless its the track entrance. They use a metal rod and probe it, if your lucky you get someone new and they will push hard enough to put holes in the screen and tell you it needs a spark arrestor (happened twice to me lol).

• glamisemt

Posted June 10, 2016 - 02:07 PM

Yea they usually finger bang your exhaust with a stick any chance they get.
Thanks for the replies

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 10, 2016 - 07:11 PM

You can buy and insert that attaches to the end of your existing muffler, with the usfs stamp visible.

sparkarrestor2.jpg

• Rich_Bing

Posted June 10, 2016 - 07:21 PM

You could buy a spark arrestor and install it. I have done it and have been checked a lot with no issues.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.