Bought a WR450F. Did I make a poor purchase?

24 replies to this topic
  • Shaz

Posted May 20, 2016 - 02:46 PM

Wow!  Ok, so I was correct in saying that this has been converted to a wet sump.  I verified this by removing left side crankcase cover and inspecting the pathway that leads from the crankcase -> oil strainer -> oil pump -> cover input [B] -> cover output to tank.  The input on the cover [B] has been tapped and plugged with a screw, effectively removing the oil inlet to the tank and making the crankcase the sole oil reservoir, or also known as a wet pump.  I did not remove this screw for the fear of there being another unknown modification somewhere and possibly starving the engine of oil by moving it all to the tank.  If I do decide to keep this modification then I just need to figure out the correct amount of oil to add.

wNPmpoW.png

Edited by Shaz, May 20, 2016 - 02:48 PM.

• 2strokeYardSale

Posted May 20, 2016 - 03:51 PM

Wow!  Ok, so I was correct in saying that this has been converted to a wet sump.

Um, it's already a wet sump engine. There is no external oil tank on the aluminum frame models. The earlier steel models carried oil in the frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shaz

Posted May 20, 2016 - 03:53 PM

Um, it's already a wet sump engine. There is no external oil tank on the aluminum frame models. The earlier steel models carried oil in the frame.

The aluminum frame models carry the tank within the engine casing itself below the crankcase.

• toten

Posted May 21, 2016 - 04:28 PM

The aluminum frame WRs are an integrated dry sump. Easy to mistake for wet sump but significantly different.

• Shaz

Posted May 22, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Can anyone give me some information on this wet sump system?  I'd like to convert it back, but I'm not sure if a wet sumo is even suitable for a supermoto.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.