Clutch/brake lever feel

5 replies to this topic
  • Goforaride

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:33 AM

I have a 2014 yz450f that I bought new in 14. I have not had any complaints up until 5 minutes ago. I just stopped by my local honda shop to waste some time before a dentist appointment and I decided to look at the 2016 crf250/450 and I instantly loved how crisp the clutch felt and how firm the front brake lever is. I don't recall my Yamaha ever feeling that perfect. How do I get the crf feel in my YZF levers?

Edited by Goforaride, May 10, 2016 - 08:34 AM.

• toten

Posted May 10, 2016 - 10:39 AM

Bleeding the brakes is likely to help with front brake firmness. For the clutch, a new cable and properly lubricated pivot will help. 

• ttr230rider6

Posted May 10, 2016 - 11:12 AM

I find my clutch lever is a bit stiff as well. My buddy's 14 450f is butter smooth. I have almost 100 hours on my bike and I only lubed the cable the first time about 15 hours ago. I have a new clutch cable on the way and I will live it frequently, I hope this works

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goforaride

Posted May 10, 2016 - 11:59 AM

Bleeding the brakes is likely to help with front brake firmness. For the clutch, a new cable and properly lubricated pivot will help.

I don't think a bleed will help. Just after my op I went through 10 bikes yz250/450 f/fx. All brand new 2015 and 16 models they all were squishy. As for the clutch, the Hondas just have a crisp snappy feeling. My current hardware is in tip top shape. There just isn't that crisp feeling. I would compare it to rifle triggers. One with a short crisp pull vs one with a long heavy pull if that makes sense.

• Hakkalugi

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Not all companies are the same, the brake on my dads ktm is almost to crisp/strong, the one on my yz is a little more forgiving and 'squishy' but will lock up & endo if need be. As for the clutch, i just got new springs and a cable my clutch feels also better now but isnt where my dads ktm is either. Wicked smooth a crisp like you say the honda is. My bike is also an 07 with who knows how many hours on it and he has a 2013 KTM with low hours on it. Id still rather my bike over the ktm, his bike just sits strangely although the suspension isnt set up for someone like me vs my yz. 

• Conner_Steezel

Posted May 11, 2016 - 11:42 AM

An easy trick to get a more firm feeling on your break lever is to zip tie it tight to the grip overnight. I did this and it helped a ton. Whenever you notice it getting squishy just do that trick.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.