450FX Suspension

21 replies to this topic
  • blbills

Posted May 09, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Hey guys.  I have about 20 hours on my 450FX now and I'm really liking it.  Suits my riding style perfectly.  I had a couple of suspension questions that I hope we can discuss.  I'm 3 clicks out on the compression and rebound both front and back with 100mm of sag.

1) I can't seem to get the front end to feel planted enough to barrel into turns with full confidence.  It seems like it either digs in or washes out occasionally.  I've tried various suspension settings and have also raised the forks in the tripples.  It seemed to help a bit but not enough to live with the other negative side effects of raising the forks.

2) Bad head wabble at speed.  Went back to the CRF 450X and it was rock solid and as plush as could be at 50+ MPH.  Not so on the FX.

Any suggestions?  Is a higher offset triple clamp in my future?  Would love to resolve this without dumping too much money.

Thanks! 

• ORboatpilot

Posted May 10, 2016 - 10:14 AM

I'm having the exact same problem. Raised the forks, changed the sag, fiddled with the clickers nothing works.    Next is to change tire, Dunlops are paper thin and have never worked for me.   I have always used the Bridgstone M59 up front with great results on all my other bikes.   Keeping my fingers crossed.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 10, 2016 - 01:07 PM

Have you tried adjusting the preload in the steering head for the head shake?  Loosen the upper triple clamp and tighten the spanner nut just a bit more, then re-torque the upper clamp to spec and see if that helps.

• blbills

Posted May 10, 2016 - 06:03 PM

Have you tried adjusting the preload in the steering head for the head shake?  Loosen the upper triple clamp and tighten the spanner nut just a bit more, then re-torque the upper clamp to spec and see if that helps.

Haven't tried that yet.  It's worth a shot.

• tzracer46

Posted May 11, 2016 - 03:05 PM

Not that my settings will mean anything to yours but here's what I've done so far. 

first was the correct springs for my weight and a pro circuit dog bone for the rear shock. This helped the steering but the springs also revealed a pretty big issue as far as the valving in the fork. In order to work with the overly soft stock spring the valving stack turns out to be way to stiff resulting in lots of harshness in the top part of the stroke. so far the remedy has been the installation of Goldvalves and a split shim stack which makes it plush on top but still handles the big stuff.

The next thing I've been working on is shock setting. It seems to me with my stiffer springs the rebound was way to fast causing the bike to have a pogo stick feel. Going in on the rebound helped calm the back end down but it's quite sensitive to adjustments. /going in 4 clicks it went from pogo stick to way to tight ausing the rear to pack resulting in a nasty push on turn in so I went back out two clicks and that helped the push calm down. I also went out two clicks on low speed compression which helped make the back easier on the kidneys. Although I'm still not totally happy with it yet it's light years better than it was. The next step is to stock the stock 25mm offset clamps for a set of 22mm offsets from my daughters 250f which I'm hoping will help kill the push on turn in.

• keeseckb

Posted May 11, 2016 - 03:24 PM

The next step is to stock the stock 25mm offset clamps for a set of 22mm offsets from my daughters 250f which I'm hoping will help kill the push on turn in.

I thought the 450fx had the 2015 450f 22mm offset? Only the 2016 yz450f has the 25mm offset... At least that's what the magazines reported.

• tzracer46

Posted May 11, 2016 - 05:17 PM

Looks like you're right. Same part number as the 250 so now on to the next setting test. Btw my sag is at 105 with the link.

• RMK800

Posted May 11, 2016 - 08:23 PM

I thought the 450fx had the 2015 450f 22mm offset? Only the 2016 yz450f has the 25mm offset... At least that's what the magazines reported.

Yes, it was confirmed in a early thread that the FX is 22mm and not 25. I made the mistake and assumed that also.

• motocrotts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 08:32 AM

I think you guys are chasing a tire problem on a heavy motorcycle.  The AT-81 is a good tire but it's not a great tire.  I've had it slip and once it does it's gone, a M-59 will slip but grab again.  I've had better luck with the AT-81 with a Mousse that feels like 10 psi, any more than that and I don't trust the tire.  Heaven is a Mousse with a M-59, it can do no wrong.

• GHILL28

Posted May 12, 2016 - 09:04 AM

I've got the M59 on the front of my '14 YZF.  It's "okay", but not stellar.  I'm replacing it soon with an AT81 in the 90/90 size.  On my 2-strokes, that tire was awesome, but you had to LEAN it to get it to work.  It's got a more aggressive ramp.  I actually don't like how flat the M59 is which is why I promptly ordered up the AT81.

The Bridgestone X30 front tire was pretty nice actually, but it's a paper thin MX tire.  Can't go slamming that thing into rocks in the desert.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motocrotts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:34 AM

I've got the M59 on the front of my '14 YZF.  It's "okay", but not stellar.  I'm replacing it soon with an AT81 in the 90/90 size.  On my 2-strokes, that tire was awesome, but you had to LEAN it to get it to work.  It's got a more aggressive ramp.  I actually don't like how flat the M59 is which is why I promptly ordered up the AT81.

The Bridgestone X30 front tire was pretty nice actually, but it's a paper thin MX tire.  Can't go slamming that thing into rocks in the desert.

Tires are like suspension, everybody has their own set ups.  I have an X30 on the rear of my 250 with a M-59 on the front, both with mousses, so I don't care if their thin.

• GHILL28

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:40 AM

The X30 rear was a good hardpack tire.  I loved the cornering hold and predictable slow drift. 

I just HATED how fast it wore out, and how useless it became when it did wear a little bit.  I'm pretty hooked on the Shinko 520 rear now run at 8lb tubeless.  That thing is my secret weapon through the loose and steep stuff.

• Finchy637

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:42 AM

I run the AT81 RC on the rear. It's amazing in the sand and over rocks.

• tzracer46

Posted May 12, 2016 - 04:08 PM

I'm running an mx32 front and rear. Yeah I'm a Moto guy who likes the woods too but the limited availability of 18's at the Moto tracks made me switch to a 19 rear.

• motocrotts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 04:23 PM

The X30 rear was a good hardpack tire.  I loved the cornering hold and predictable slow drift. 

I just HATED how fast it wore out, and how useless it became when it did wear a little bit.  I'm pretty hooked on the Shinko 520 rear now run at 8lb tubeless.  That thing is my secret weapon through the loose and steep stuff.

Buddy of mine has a KX 450 and was running the Shinko, said he loved it until he mounted up a Kenda Equilibrium .

• Decreasing Dave

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:25 PM

I don't have an FX, but three clicks out on compression is pretty tight and you must be compensating for a too soft spring for your weight.  Slowing down the compression too much will cause the bike to plow through turns.

Dave

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted May 13, 2016 - 07:32 AM

The bike is choppering, too low in the back, too much weight on the rear tire, too light in the front.

Add more preload to the rear shock, I don't care what the sag numbers say.  You may need a stiffer rear spring.  Also, using a heavier front spring/stiff dampening will give the front tire more bite when it is weighted properly.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, May 13, 2016 - 07:34 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2016 - 11:03 AM

An excessively high front spring rate combined with stiff damping will do exactly the opposite.  It prevents the front from diving, which keeps the head angle too shallow, and promotes the push.  That's why the comment regarding 3 clicks out was made in the first place. 

OP: You didn't state your weight, but the first thing you need to look at is the fact that every YZF made has always worked better entering a corner with the rider fairly well forward on the bike.  Rider position is very important on any off-road bike because the geometry necessary to make them rideable at speed is contrary to what makes a bike corner well.  They are all a trade-off at one level or other.

Front tires are a big deal for them, too, but any recommendation as to a good choice has to come from someone riding in the same kind of dirt you do.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted May 16, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Buddy of mine has a KX 450 and was running the Shinko, said he loved it until he mounted up a Kenda Equilibrium .

The KE isn't great in loose stuff.  And it packs in sticky mud.  An M5B or S12 is a better tire for a wider range of conditions.  The KE is good on wet roots though.  Not good at all on moss or wet grass.

• tmeyer37

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:11 PM

The fast wear is probably because the X30 is an intermediate terrain tire not Hard terrain so hard pack will tend to wear it out faster.  I have the X30 on my 06 YZ450f and the wear has been decent and the traction is great, the only issue I had was when I rode in sloppy sloppy mud, it kept packing up but nothing a quick twist of the throttle didn't clear out. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.