15'-16' vs previous generation

11 replies to this topic
  • bigvaportrail

Posted May 09, 2016 - 03:35 PM

Ok I absolutely love my 11' however

If you have owned a 10-13' generation bike and now own a 14-16' how much better do you like it or what do you like about the current generation model.

15' and 16' in particular
thank you

Edited by bigvaportrail, May 09, 2016 - 04:30 PM.

• BGoyins

Posted May 10, 2016 - 05:26 AM

I own the 11 and the 15. Since you love your 11 I can make this simple. You would love the 15. There is nothing about the 15 that I wish Yamaha would have retained from the 11. It is equal or better in every single category down to the fit and finish and ease of maintenance. There are plenty of magazine reviews that focus on the handling, suspension, and power characteristics of these bikes you could research for different opinions. I'm still confident that if the 11 works for you, then you will find the 15 a more refined version you will love.

• bigvaportrail

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:32 AM

I own the 11 and the 15. Since you love your 11 I can make this simple. You would love the 15. There is nothing about the 15 that I wish Yamaha would have retained from the 11. It is equal or better in every single category down to the fit and finish and ease of maintenance. There are plenty of magazine reviews that focus on the handling, suspension, and power characteristics of these bikes you could research for different opinions. I'm still confident that if the 11 works for you, then you will find the 15 a more refined version you will love.

Thank you so much BGoyins !!! 

IMHO my 11' is much much "better" than my previous generation bike

I have rode a 14' and liked it however wanted the updates of the 15' or 16' and have not had the opportunity to ride one yet.

• hondaman331

Posted May 12, 2016 - 04:02 AM

I just bought a 16, had an 08 crf450 before that, it's a large rider bike. Lots of room, smooth roll on and suspension feels good. Front Wheel does seem a bit loose but I imagine the forks just need to break in a bit more

• Crusty Cy

Posted May 12, 2016 - 01:58 PM

Love the '15. Had both an '11 and '12 and as the previous poster said there is nothing I wish I had back from the earlier versions. Also, had an '07 CRF450 and each of the Yamahas are better. I actually like the turning of the Yamahas - just ensure they're springed correctly and run a quality front tire such as a Bridgestone X30. The Honda loved to crawl out of ruts - not so with the Yamahas. Now the question is do I get a close out 2016 and put my '15 triple clamps on it....

• hondaman331

Posted May 12, 2016 - 03:31 PM

Love the '15. Had both an '11 and '12 and as the previous poster said there is nothing I wish I had back from the earlier versions. Also, had an '07 CRF450 and each of the Yamahas are better. I actually like the turning of the Yamahas - just ensure they're springed correctly and run a quality front tire such as a Bridgestone X30. The Honda loved to crawl out of ruts - not so with the Yamahas. Now the question is do I get a close out 2016 and put my '15 triple clamps on it....

the engine is mellower but torquer then the 15. I didn't get the 15 because of that off idle jerk then weiner out until a big huge rush, 16 is way smoother, but very fast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigvaportrail

Posted May 14, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the replies

Explain the power difference on the 15 vs 16 again
Honda

• hondaman331

Posted May 15, 2016 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for the replies

Explain the power difference on the 15 vs 16 again
Honda

i just did. There isn't a huge difference except the bottom end is smoother now. Last year, the way it had a somewhat dead feel down in the bottom of the rpms was a turn off, the 14 had it to but the 14 had a hell of a hit in the midrange. The 16 is smoother across the board but still feels just as strong. I didn't like the 14 or 15's bottom end, the 16 hit the nail on the head, after a demo I went and bought it. The button thing is cool too. I went to the side of my country road and tried it, it felt like a strong 250f, then it just like ramped up and BAM....she was off like sea biscuit. I'm not sure if it will help a start because it seems like a significant taming down of the power, but that thing DOES work. I will sum it up by saying the 16 is a cleaner and stronger running bike in the bottom end then it's 2 previous versions. If I had bought the 15 I would have bought the 16 cams and mapped it the same way. I've decided I'm not touching the 16 engine, I think it's perfect.

• Costa Rican YZ450F

Posted May 15, 2016 - 06:04 AM

Just to emphasize what Honda said, I own a 16 and my buddy owns a 14 and yesterday I let him ride mine for a few laps and the first thing he said was it's so easy to ride referring to the power delivery and how smooth it is. I have the HardPack mapping on, which states,"controlable low end power, slower revving and longer pulling". I feel that it allows me to be more confident giving it gas out of corners.

• hondaman331

Posted May 15, 2016 - 04:28 PM

Got some good seat time today on the 16 yz450f....I love this bike. I'm thinking it will be regarded as a keeper just like the 08 crf450r... Suspension was perfect, went out 2 clicks on compression with the forks, other then that, as is I will race with confidence.

• bigvaportrail

Posted May 17, 2016 - 10:53 AM

hondaman331

thanks for the replies

He also claims the 16' has a "smoother" power curve V.S.  the 15'

so could you use the Yamaha tuner to remap the 15',  to achieve the same power characteristics as the 16' ?

Edited by bigvaportrail, May 17, 2016 - 10:53 AM.

• hondaman331

Posted May 17, 2016 - 11:35 AM

hondaman331
thanks for the replies

He also claims the 16' has a "smoother" power curve V.S. the 15'

so could you use the Yamaha tuner to remap the 15', to achieve the same power characteristics as the 16' ?

no, it's the cams. Get the 2016 cams, mapping and steel mounts and the engine will be similar.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.