450FX first impressions

10 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted May 09, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Got a chance to get my new 450FX out on Saturday.  The trails we were riding were a mix of tight/technical and slightly more open, no real super fast flowy stuff.  As I do with every new bike I get, I pulled this one apart to grease up all the moving points and I have to say I'm less than impressed with the dealership's "setup" and I'm really glad I didn't pay a setup fee since the front axle pinch bolts weren't even tight and the tires had over 30psi of air in them.  That should have been my first clue, but the one thing I didn't bother with at all was suspension settings- I wanted to ride the bike some and let the suspension break in a bit before I started messing with clickers.  In hindsight, I should have verified that everything was still at factory settings.

The good- amazing power that is very useable.  When the going was slow I could easily just putt along at my leisure and let the bike do it's thing.  The power rolls on very smooth and doesn't have any big surprises or hits at low throttle openings.  When things open up a bit, just crank the right grip and the old girl wakes right up and takes off like a scalded dog.  When you need to slow down the bike's engine braking does most of the work for you most of the time.  Transmission was amazing... I loved being able to really slow down in technical stuff or on switch backs and not have to worry about stalling the bike or feathering the clutch.  There's plenty of power on tap to make good use of the wide ratio trans when riding roads to connect trails, I never had it anywhere even close to wide open throttle and was still able to carry plenty of speed.

The bad- Nothing that can't be fixed!  The suspension seemed a little twitchy when there were a lot of rocks or roots, but overall the bike felt very stiff on both ends.  I want to make sure the clickers are at stock settings, then once it gets a few more hours on it (around 3.3 right now) I'll start messing with sag and clicker settings to get it dialed.  The only other "issue" I had was hitting neutral between 1st and second sometimes, but the shifter feels a bit high so I'm going to try moving it down 1 tooth and I suspect that will take care of it.

This bike is definitely still a YZ and seems to prefer to be ridden more aggressively and really requires you to have good riding position (which is one of my weaknesses).  It's everything I wanted my old 06 YZ 450 to be and does everything better than I can remember the 06 being able to.  Although I claim not to be a fan of e-start on a dirt bike, I have yet to use the kick starter once... I really think this is the ideal bike for the type of riding I do.  Very happy with my purchase!

IMG_20160507_103659177_zps4brlfxau.jpg

IMG_20160507_103710516_zps5aavmfyg.jpg

IMG_20160507_124435489_zpsynat1bkk.jpg

IMG_20160507_135742807_zpsxfbjxmqr.jpg

• RockerYZWR

Posted May 09, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the awesome write-up. Some day...

• RMK800

Posted May 09, 2016 - 10:56 AM

I also felt it was a bit firm with stock settings. I set my compression 2 clicks softer for forks and shock. I also slowed the the rebound 2 clicks. Helped a lot.

Edited by RMK800, May 09, 2016 - 10:57 AM.

• motocrotts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 11:00 AM

I also took mine out for the first time this weekend.  I broke my thumb after setting the bike up and had to take 6 weeks off to let it heal.  First a SA is required for any off road use.  I used a PMB insert and it made the bike much too loud for me, so I took it off and put on a FMF Q.  Much better and mounted perfectly.  I backed all the compression off on the forks and rear shock for the first ride because I knew they'd be super stiff for the first ride. Set the rebound in the factory setting.   I had already put a 6.0 on the rear for my 195 BN weight.  Set the static at 30mm and sag w/o gear was right at 100mm.  Ok for a break-in ride.  I usually run mousses but my thumb is not quite up to mounting mousses yet so I ran 12psi front and rear with slime in the stock tubes. Had a guy with a 350XCF ktm and another guy with a 300 XC ktm along for the ride and we rode 38 miles of tight desert single track.  Stalled the bike 3 times in 38 miles probably because my thumb on my left hand is still sore.  I really liked the brakes on the big girl as they really haul her down with little effort.  The bike does not feel heavy at all and I really noticed that there was little engine braking.  I had little problem keeping up with my smaller and nimbler company and the few times I rode in front I pulled away easily.  I started out in first gear and after that I don't think I used it, popping up rock ledges and super tight canyons were just fine in second gear.  It's a little abrupt in the lower rpm range and super tight stuff but I feel a Rekluse will tame it down as I'll be able to run a gear taller and not have to worry about stalling.  I may change mapping but it did really well yesterday with stock mapping and it was dry and slick.  Its a mid range monster, if you make a mistake and fall behind, just twist it a little harder and it will make up the time.  The forks were feeling looser at the end of the ride and I'll start bumping them up in compression and possibly raise them another 2mm.  Rear is still a little harsh and needs more time.  Overall, it's a fun bike and is a Rekluse away from being perfect.  It's not as nimble as my 250X, but I didn't expect it to be.  It feels more nimble than my 350 Husky and the power is not even comparable.   

Edited by motocrotts, May 09, 2016 - 11:02 AM.

• JonL515

Posted May 09, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Got a chance to get my new 450FX out on Saturday.  The trails we were riding were a mix of tight/technical and slightly more open, no real super fast flowy stuff.  As I do with every new bike I get, I pulled this one apart to grease up all the moving points and I have to say I'm less than impressed with the dealership's "setup" and I'm really glad I didn't pay a setup fee since the front axle pinch bolts weren't even tight and the tires had over 30psi of air in them.  That should have been my first clue, but the one thing I didn't bother with at all was suspension settings- I wanted to ride the bike some and let the suspension break in a bit before I started messing with clickers.  In hindsight, I should have verified that everything was still at factory settings.

The good- amazing power that is very useable.  When the going was slow I could easily just putt along at my leisure and let the bike do it's thing.  The power rolls on very smooth and doesn't have any big surprises or hits at low throttle openings.  When things open up a bit, just crank the right grip and the old girl wakes right up and takes off like a scalded dog.  When you need to slow down the bike's engine braking does most of the work for you most of the time.  Transmission was amazing... I loved being able to really slow down in technical stuff or on switch backs and not have to worry about stalling the bike or feathering the clutch.  There's plenty of power on tap to make good use of the wide ratio trans when riding roads to connect trails, I never had it anywhere even close to wide open throttle and was still able to carry plenty of speed.

The bad- Nothing that can't be fixed!  The suspension seemed a little twitchy when there were a lot of rocks or roots, but overall the bike felt very stiff on both ends.  I want to make sure the clickers are at stock settings, then once it gets a few more hours on it (around 3.3 right now) I'll start messing with sag and clicker settings to get it dialed.  The only other "issue" I had was hitting neutral between 1st and second sometimes, but the shifter feels a bit high so I'm going to try moving it down 1 tooth and I suspect that will take care of it.

This bike is definitely still a YZ and seems to prefer to be ridden more aggressively and really requires you to have good riding position (which is one of my weaknesses).  It's everything I wanted my old 06 YZ 450 to be and does everything better than I can remember the 06 being able to.  Although I claim not to be a fan of e-start on a dirt bike, I have yet to use the kick starter once... I really think this is the ideal bike for the type of riding I do.  Very happy with my purchase!

IMG_20160507_103659177_zps4brlfxau.jpg

IMG_20160507_103710516_zps5aavmfyg.jpg

IMG_20160507_124435489_zpsynat1bkk.jpg

IMG_20160507_135742807_zpsxfbjxmqr.jpg

Is that Hells Canyon?  Up Hayden Creek?  Was there a few weeks ago doing some cutting, there was a nasty blow down about 3 miles in we didn't get all the way cleared due to losing light, wondering if anyone finished it or there was still that detour?  If so I think we will grab the saws and finish it this week.  I ride a YZ 450 up there and really wish I had the X just for the WR trans.  Gearing can only do so much, maybe I will need to upgrade this year!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted May 09, 2016 - 04:46 PM

I also felt it was a bit firm with stock settings. I set my compression 2 clicks softer for forks and shock. I also slowed the the rebound 2 clicks. Helped a lot.

Thanks, gives me a good baseline to start tinkering from.

I also took mine out for the first time this weekend.  I broke my thumb after setting the bike up and had to take 6 weeks off to let it heal.  First a SA is required for any off road use.  I used a PMB insert and it made the bike much too loud for me, so I took it off and put on a FMF Q.  Much better and mounted perfectly.  I backed all the compression off on the forks and rear shock for the first ride because I knew they'd be super stiff for the first ride. Set the rebound in the factory setting.   I had already put a 6.0 on the rear for my 195 BN weight.  Set the static at 30mm and sag w/o gear was right at 100mm.  Ok for a break-in ride.  I usually run mousses but my thumb is not quite up to mounting mousses yet so I ran 12psi front and rear with slime in the stock tubes. Had a guy with a 350XCF ktm and another guy with a 300 XC ktm along for the ride and we rode 38 miles of tight desert single track.  Stalled the bike 3 times in 38 miles probably because my thumb on my left hand is still sore.  I really liked the brakes on the big girl as they really haul her down with little effort.  The bike does not feel heavy at all and I really noticed that there was little engine braking.  I had little problem keeping up with my smaller and nimbler company and the few times I rode in front I pulled away easily.  I started out in first gear and after that I don't think I used it, popping up rock ledges and super tight canyons were just fine in second gear.  It's a little abrupt in the lower rpm range and super tight stuff but I feel a Rekluse will tame it down as I'll be able to run a gear taller and not have to worry about stalling.  I may change mapping but it did really well yesterday with stock mapping and it was dry and slick.  Its a mid range monster, if you make a mistake and fall behind, just twist it a little harder and it will make up the time.  The forks were feeling looser at the end of the ride and I'll start bumping them up in compression and possibly raise them another 2mm.  Rear is still a little harsh and needs more time.  Overall, it's a fun bike and is a Rekluse away from being perfect.  It's not as nimble as my 250X, but I didn't expect it to be.  It feels more nimble than my 350 Husky and the power is not even comparable.   

Funny you say you thought the engine had little engine braking, it had more than I'm used to coming off an 06 YZ 450F with the GYTR heavy flywheel.  I agree on the weight, I've never noticed it either pushing it into/out of the shop or riding it.  It carries the weight very well IMO.  No stalling problems for me at all.  And yes you are right, you can either just ride slowly at low RPM, lug the bike a gear high, or really crank the right grip and get whatevery type of power you are after.  Very versatile IMO.

Is that Hells Canyon?  Up Hayden Creek?  Was there a few weeks ago doing some cutting, there was a nasty blow down about 3 miles in we didn't get all the way cleared due to losing light, wondering if anyone finished it or there was still that detour?  If so I think we will grab the saws and finish it this week.  I ride a YZ 450 up there and really wish I had the X just for the WR trans.  Gearing can only do so much, maybe I will need to upgrade this year!

Good eye, yes it is!  It was cleared all the way up on Saturday, there were a lot of trees that came down over the winter.  If you're used to riding a YZ 450 up there, you'd be amazed at how well the FX does I think.  PS, if you happen to be riding Hells Canyon and find a GYTR tuner in an olive drab colored Blackhawk case, please let me know... zipper on my pack broke and everything was found right in the trail except the tuner I never even got to use.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 09, 2016 - 04:52 PM

First a SA is required for any off road use.

Forgot to respond to this part of your post- got it covered.

IMG_20160504_192253331_zpsyf0tabp7.jpg

• JonL515

Posted May 09, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Thanks, gives me a good baseline to start tinkering from.

Funny you say you thought the engine had little engine braking, it had more than I'm used to coming off an 06 YZ 450F with the GYTR heavy flywheel. I agree on the weight, I've never noticed it either pushing it into/out of the shop or riding it. It carries the weight very well IMO. No stalling problems for me at all. And yes you are right, you can either just ride slowly at low RPM, lug the bike a gear high, or really crank the right grip and get whatevery type of power you are after. Very versatile IMO.

Good eye, yes it is! It was cleared all the way up on Saturday, there were a lot of trees that came down over the winter. If you're used to riding a YZ 450 up there, you'd be amazed at how well the FX does I think. PS, if you happen to be riding Hells Canyon and find a GYTR tuner in an olive drab colored Blackhawk case, please let me know... zipper on my pack broke and everything was found right in the trail except the tuner I never even got to use.

I saw that on WRA, I'll keep my eyes open for sure. I know the stretch you are talking about

• motocrotts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Forgot to respond to this part of your post- got it covered.

IMG_20160504_192253331_zpsyf0tabp7.jpg

I didn't mean for you, I just meant here in AZ.  Good job though.

• vossman23

Posted May 10, 2016 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the write up. I'm gonna have to ride the 450F again this year and get one next year. Maybe I can find a leftover 2016.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 10, 2016 - 01:07 PM

I didn't mean for you, I just meant here in AZ.  Good job though.

They are required here too, or on any public land for that matter.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.